Helmets???

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Helmets???

Post by rudog »

My father was an efficient spender when I was growing up on dirt bikes. "Just be careful. When you stop growing, I'll buy you a helmet." I loved it. When I stopped growing and moved to street bikes, Johnny Law insisted I wear a helmet. I hated it.

Now I live in Texas. No need for a helmet...until a few weeks ago. I had a grasshopper karate kick me in the mouth. I'm pretty sure I won the fight, but I'm looking at a helmut again. That and it's fixin' to turn cold. I'ld rather not have to thaw the face after a ride.

Can't deal with full face. Half helets dont usually have shields. So...I've been looking at open face helmets. What do you wear? Why?
rek
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, and ride a modern Excelsior Henderson which I bought in the crate at the dealer's, after EH went out of business. My friends at www.superxparts.com do all the work on it for me.
Way back a couple of X'ers and I went to the horse magazine's smoke-out, and that's when I realized that anyone can build a motorcycle if they really want to! Then it got huge and we stopped going, heh.

Re: Helmets???

Post by rek »

I didn't like full face either, too heavy and wind noise bothers my ears so I wear plugs. I have 3/4 helmet or what ever you'd call it and my face gets cold and the bugs just hurt sometimes. I also took my windshield off because of head buffeting, and I have a snap on shield for my helmet that is part of my rain gear. Maybe all you need is some kind of snap on for a regular helmet? (Geez, look at all those little animated icons when you're replying to a post, heh.)
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

depends on my mood/the weather. in general, i like to feel the wind and hate to have something between me and the ride, so i usually like to wear a 3/4 with my Gargoylz. good combo.

if i'm expecting rain though, i keep a bubble type face shield that they sell over here to snap on since i don't run a front fender. if you want one and can't find one (for some reason they don't seem to sell the nice ones in the US), i can send ya one.

in the winter, i want to be able to comfortably ride all day if i want, so a full face is the trick. if the looks of a full face turn ya off, look at Tachibana helmets. they hand make vintage style full face helmets that meet all the safety standards over here. decent price too.

i'm sure everyone will have their opinions, but that's what i use anyway.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

Thanx for the offer Dan. Finding one I liked is tough. With this economy, I can get a full face for $80. 3/4 Fulman with hinged shield for $60. I can always rattle can it flat black when I get home, but the one I liked had a mirrored shield that just hit me wrong. I'll prolly buy it the next time it turns cold.

My problem with full helets is the Darth Vader effect: narrow FOV with the heavy breathing thing. When I started laughing at myself...the reverb was just more than I could handle.
rek
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, and ride a modern Excelsior Henderson which I bought in the crate at the dealer's, after EH went out of business. My friends at www.superxparts.com do all the work on it for me.
Way back a couple of X'ers and I went to the horse magazine's smoke-out, and that's when I realized that anyone can build a motorcycle if they really want to! Then it got huge and we stopped going, heh.

Post by rek »

Those Tachibana helmets look neat, do you know if they fit American heads ok?
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Usually ride wthout, just a rag. Wear ear plugs a lot for the wind noise. I have 3 types of helmets tho,
long beanie (I can wear a ball cap under it), full face with a flip up chin guard so I can drink something
without taking it off, and a open face with a flip up shield.
What I use depends on the weather and laws wherever I happen to be.

I've been caught in heavy thunderstorms when my goggles were filling with water, no shit.
Helmet would have been a godsend. I was having to go so slow I was worried about getting rear ended.

Sooner or later you'll get caught in some bad weather. When I'm touring, I have a helmet handy.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

new york sucks ya have to wear one i wear a novelty beanie when its warm and sunny but love the fullface in the rain and cold and hate how darthvader the dam thing is but it keeps the rain out someone has gotta invent a windshield wiper for those dam things
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

Got this Fulmer AF9B with dual shields. Good FOV and decent ability to turn my head. It kept the chill off of my face like I hoped.
AF_9B0_BLACK_005.jpg
AF_9B0_BLACK_005.jpg (25.84 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
Now for some gloves with fingers
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

Unfortunately helmets have been compulsory here in the UK since the late 1970's but given the state of many of our roads and the volume of traffic it is maybe not such a bad thing...kinda restricts your personal freedom though.......

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

I use an old military Cold-weather facemask....light and comfy....or a black painters face sock........ What does bugshit taste like, Ru.....It's been a while ... LOL
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

Yeh, I was thinking of a sock for when it gets really cold. Sorry to not get back to you...been easily distracted lately.

Bug-juice is not that bad when mixed with a bloody lip.
Ghostrider61
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Dave but I go by DB most of the time. Was a previous member of CBH before the site restarted. Spent 22 years in the US Army and retired in 2000. Now work for the US Army as a "government slave" (GS) worker. I ride a "highly customized" 1992 Sportster.

Post by Ghostrider61 »

I grew up in Illinois and never wore a helmet. I kinda got wrapped up in the helmet police vice the personal freedom thing for awhile but as I have grown older, the use of a helmet just makes sense to ME. I say ME, because I still feel that it should be a personal choice by he individual rider. It was MY decision to wear a helmet and there's about a 99.9% chance that I would wear one even in a helmet free state...but I go back to my original premise - MY choice.

Now to the helmets themselves. I've got a half helmet that I used to wear all of the time. Has a zip on "collar" that makes it more like a 3/4 for warmth during the winter months. A couple of years back I bought a Davida 3/4 that is sorta retro. Doesn't give me the mushroom effect that most helmets do. I like it because it is comfortable for starters and it does a good job of killing off the wind noise as a bonus.

In the winter, I wear this fleece dealie that my wife found me which covers my neck and face up to my nose and tucks into the collar of my coat. Works pretty good.

The 3/4 doesn't do a whole lot against bugs...most of the time I see the big ones coming and have been lucky enough so far to either duck the bastards or get just enough out of their way that they hit the top or side of the helmet.

I won't even talk about the time I decided to pass a trailer truck hauling a load of cattle... Wasn't pleasant and it probably wouldn't have mattered what sort of helmet I was wearing!!! :doh:
Sporties Rule

Return to “The Bull Pen”