damn the cold

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
Ghostrider61
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Dave but I go by DB most of the time. Was a previous member of CBH before the site restarted. Spent 22 years in the US Army and retired in 2000. Now work for the US Army as a "government slave" (GS) worker. I ride a "highly customized" 1992 Sportster.

damn the cold

Post by Ghostrider61 »

Sheeesh...

Wanted to get out for an hour or so this afternoon and just ride. Nowhere to go, nothing to do, just get on the scooter and see where I ended up. Did my normal "pre-flight" on the bike and checked the thermometer just to try to figure out what I should wear. Thermometer said 60*...okay...mid-weight jacket and summer gloves ought ta be good enough.

Got out on the road and immediately thought that I might should have worn something a bit more substantial. But hey, screw it I'm only going out for an hour or so, right? :angry-banghead:

After about 25 or 30 minutes, I'd had enough. Turned the beast around and headed for the house. Got home, shut her down and put her away in the garage. Looked at the thermometer and it said 50*. :doh: WTF??? 45 minutes and a 10* drop in temperature? No way. So, not only do I need new glasses so I can read the damned thermometer, I also need to start figuring out that I'm getting old and I need to invest in some of them warm clothes. Even my old trusty leather jacket is starting to look like its seen better days. :violin:

Not sure exactly what I'm going to do from here. New jacket? Pile on from underneath (long johns or something comparable)? Stop riding for the winter? :hand: I'll figure it out I guess...but I'm already pining for those warm summer days!!!!
Sporties Rule
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Re: damn the cold

Post by Maz »

get yourself some thermal underwear dude....wouldn't want frostbite in your important places now would we? :hand:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Heated wristbands do wonders :D

biker mistress???? whens my tall gonna be biker studd :lol:
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

Maxthegardener wrote:Heated wristbands do wonders :D

biker mistress???? whens my tall gonna be biker studd :lol:
lovin it :laughing-rolling:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Could be worse brother....

-30F here at my house today. Sux big time, I'm just hunkered down doing things inside.
Got the wood stove cooking in the shop, now I'm wondering if I have dry wood enuff to last the winter.
Been bringing more in, but it's green and don't burn well, so I plan to save it for next winter.

New Mexico looks pretty damn good right now.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

check out "gator skinz" thermal under wear !
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

I just wear loose sweatpants beneath bib coveralls.
If it gets too cold, I use the Arctic insulated set.
Much more comfortable, and cheaper too.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Ghostrider61
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Dave but I go by DB most of the time. Was a previous member of CBH before the site restarted. Spent 22 years in the US Army and retired in 2000. Now work for the US Army as a "government slave" (GS) worker. I ride a "highly customized" 1992 Sportster.

Post by Ghostrider61 »

I've still got a couple of pairs of them high fangled long john pants that I got from the Army just before I retired. They do pretty good but I just didn't have 'em on that day. Problem with them is that you damned near gotta strip 'em off as soon as you get in someplace warm or your chestnuts get roasted pretty good. :shock:

The shirts seemed to shrink real bad (no it wasn't cause I got fat) and hit the shit can several years back...some sorta microfiber or another. When I was flying, they recommended that they not be worn in the event of a fire.
Sporties Rule
Jim Sawyer
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 25,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it

Post by Jim Sawyer »

I ride as long as it is above 32 F. Leather chaps & good gloves. Also a bandsna called a Wind Stopper which works great.
Attachments
2011-9-16 1.jpg
2011-9-16 1.jpg (162.67 KiB) Viewed 1460 times
I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 71,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

I went out today. The temp was reported @31. I had a t, flanel and leathers up. Thermals and jeans down. I couldn't find a wind stopper or neck gator. So I got a neck sock from the hunting store for $5. I need those gloves!!!

I was surprised to see several bikes on my way home. A few 2up.
Pascal
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: re-registering to regain acces.
Im a bike crazy guy from the Netherlands. currently riding a cafe-racered ducati 600SL pantah and in works of making a bobber from a honda 350 four. also as sideproject making a cafe racer from a honda CM400T (hawk in USA?)
Pascal

Post by Pascal »

yeah, cold weather and getting older. damn, before you know it you will be driving cars only instead of bikes (been there, done that, only drive bikes when realy warm now)
Pascal

Return to “The Bull Pen”