just found out a student of mine died yesterday...

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

just found out a student of mine died yesterday...

Post by budoka »

i had been close with this kid since i started this job about 5 years ago. good kid, loved playing soccer. a couple of years ago they amputated his leg. then last year they took a little more. yesterday he died. 15 years old. shit.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Re: just found out a student of mine died yesterday...

Post by Maz »

I'm very sorry to hear that Dan, sending you a big hug xx

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

ampster
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: got interested in solid modeling and motorcycle designs at the same time - although I haven't built anything yet I do plan on building a custom mc pull behind trailer and will be looking for advise. My Thanks goes out to all the people who have devoted their time into keeping this type of web forum going.

Post by ampster »

Sorry to hear that Dan, just remember/keep those positive thoughts and memories you had with him active

Steve
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

Sorry to hear that, Dan. What was wrong that they took his leg and a little more?
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

thanks folks. it was just a big shock since he had been home for a while and i thought he was out of the woods and would be returning to school shortly. apparently over the last 10 days or so he just suddenly took a turn for the worse.

rudog, he had a form of cancer. the other teachers and i went to teach him at the hospital even as he was getting treatments and such, and had to watch as his hair all fell out, etc. but recently he had been doing much better, and they let him go home and just come in for checkups, all his hair grew back, and there was talk about him coming back to school.

we have another student right now who's fighting the same thing, but he's from another school (the teachers from my school also teach all the junior high school kids who are hospitalized at the big regional university hospital here, not just from our own school) . needless to say, we're keeping this secret from him. they've had to amputate this other kids' leg a couple of times too.

this stuff is the toughest part of my job, to say the least.

don't anybody worry about me, i'm a tough nut to crack, but if you have the time, say a few words for these families though.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

My sincere condolences, As I guess a lot of us have young Kids growing up, you always fear for such things happening ....Hope your able to keep a brave face...I guess this would be one of these situations they didn't have in the job disciption..and would be hard not to get personally involved with

my younger brother lost a close friend when he was that age...while weight lifting, the young lad had an embolism in the head, died almost instantly..it affected the pupils at the school very deeply, at such an impressionable age the children could't really cope, and the stiff upper lip wasn't enough... I hope there is a good support network for the Kids
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

It's a righteous thing you do, Dan. You'll have more than a few of my words.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Very sorry Dan.

What a tragedy, so young...

Very, very sorry.

Prayers going out
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Another reason to hug your kids today..... That's a shame
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Post by Indian Mark »

Sorry to hear that Dan.

Return to “The Bull Pen”