The New Biker Buildoff

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
concrete guy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just an Iowa country boy that has been pouring concrete for over 30 years. I have been around for awhile. I have watched 3 forums come and go. I built my first chop with the help of the great guys on this forum. I plan on building a few more. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I don't have the 200 word in me this morning! 8)

Re: The New Biker Buildoff

Post by concrete guy »

Did anyone notice that Jesse slugged his down tubes? I caught it when he was fitting them to the neck and on the final shots at the end of the show they actually have a pic of him welding up a butt joint on the frame. I also liked it when he was standing there looking at the tube fit up on the neck and said "Perfect!". There was a 1/4" gap on the side he wasn't/didn't look at. 8) Now, does anyone think a stainless frame will stand the test of time????
Neo Dutch
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Intereseted in all thing motorcycling, particularly modifications folk do to their bikes. Admire quality design and workmanship. Not so keen on bolt-on parts, but they have their place in the world. Not everyone can be a master machinist, welder or spray painter, but that won't stop me from trying. Great admirer of master engravers and have been working hard for several years to improve my skills in this most difficult of crafts. Also enjoy pin striping, and am fairly good at it.
Favourite food is Spam. Here's some good recipes www.pinheadlounge.com/neodutch . Kill Flanders.

Post by Neo Dutch »

Don't forget that the cameras aren't there all the time. Sometimes you have to do these atmospheric style shots in one lot, even though you might not be up to that point yet. If you watch old American Chopper sometimes you'll see last weeks bike sitting on a lift half done, while they're fighting about whether or not this weeks bike will get done.
The tell tale tickle of ashphalt on the sagging underbelly of my lowered expectations.
LowDoughBrokeAss
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm in school to be an Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic. Getting interested in chopper building. Getting ready to buy an 80's Suzuki 400 (actually 440cc, but no clue what model) for $500, and I'm toying with riding it, while I build a chopper frame, and sticking the engine from it, in the chopper frame.

Post by LowDoughBrokeAss »

I actually thought that stainless frame was pretty cool.
Don't you touch that sumbitchin' boat. THE BOAT IS NOT A TOY.
msn1977
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Mark Nienke, I have been a machinest and fabricator for over 30 years. Currently a home shop machinest and future bike builder (some day). Funnest project was my Maadi-Griffin 50 BMG which I built a few years ago. I have owned bikes on and off for the last 40 years. Built and sold two basket case sportsters. I currently own a 2008 Harley V-Rod.

Post by msn1977 »

I think it should hold up. I used to build a lot of equipment out of Stainless and had nt issues. Some of the equipment was large shaker bed machines. These had a great deal of heavy movement. If built from the correct material and welded correctly should be no problem. I have had more issues with Cold Rolled steel cracking around the weld area than I have had with stainless.
LowDoughBrokeAss
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm in school to be an Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic. Getting interested in chopper building. Getting ready to buy an 80's Suzuki 400 (actually 440cc, but no clue what model) for $500, and I'm toying with riding it, while I build a chopper frame, and sticking the engine from it, in the chopper frame.

Post by LowDoughBrokeAss »

I mainly just appreciated the aesthetic of Jesse's bike. It was clean, and simple. Which, in my mind, is how they're supposed to be built. None of this ridiculous horse-shit stuff that OCC builds.
Don't you touch that sumbitchin' boat. THE BOAT IS NOT A TOY.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

Maz wrote:
yona wrote:I don't care what JJ or OCC can build....they don't know how to treat other human beings...I prefer our guys that put there shit together with just a few tools in an old shed, plastic-wrapped carport, or living room/spare bedroom.....that who has my respect !
would a 25feet by 10 feet garage count????? :think: If so, then I'm in guys :banana-dance:

Maz xx

your in maz too late to get out now
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Was this one time thing or is the build off back series back on?
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

The Chopper stuff with Discovery is reignited big time and from what I understand thay have about 4 new series thay want to be running with JJ in two of them plus I think he has signed with A&E for some kind of shows. A friend of mine who has more channels than I have told me that JJ was already in another series on cable and has been on for a few months which was why Discovery set up this lastest buildoff. I think it was something like the JJ blacksmith show or something like that.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Post by Indian Mark »

I like when JJ said his bike had a "motorcycle theme". Summed up my thoughts on it all.
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

After giving everything long and hard consideration I'm starting to convert and I do think that guys like Paulie Jr. on are the right track for todays Chopper builders. Jesse had some excellent points but Paulie I think nailed it on the head with the idea of streamlining the design and fabrication process by doing 'theme' bikes. I'm putting together a new scheme as we speak based upon this new philosophy and I'll post a link to the project as it develops. So far I've bought a lot of cool stuff for the bike and it's remarkable how cheap ypu can get parts and other decorations from China. This is really opening up a whole new world of design possibilities for me. I even got some old Buick fender exhaust portholes from ebay and believe it or not they were actually made in America. I might actually save those for my 'Rocket Sled' project but that's going to be down the road awhile until I tie up the land deal I'm working on in Nevada.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

gww25 wrote:until I tie up the land deal I'm working on in Nevada.
prepping for when the left coast slides???
There is some realllllly cool chinese stuff at walmart, i love shopping there cause it's like
a ring side seat in the coliseum of the lost and damned.
I espeshlllly like the $00.99 CDs that have the muzak for elevators,
I spend hours flipping thru those thangs, trying to get the best bang for my buck.
Sometimes I get so absorbed, drool drips from my lower lip, and I'm not the only one,
I've seen others doing the same thing.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

You fuckers have mad cow disease... lol
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

:text-goodpost: :laughing-rolling:
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

I think someone needs to double up on thier meds.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
War Tribe
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a serious chopper lover and want to learn how to build them from scratch. I'm not all about those bling bling tv riders you see on American Chopper. I follow Jesse James' work ethic and attitude towards bikes.

Post by War Tribe »

gww25 wrote:I watched the second episode and realized that we'd reached an all-time low in Chopperdom when Keith Ball voted for the Paulie Jr. abortion bicycle thingy. I think Jesse could build a bike if he found himself in my garage with my tool selection. Paulie Jr. and senior couldn't even get started if they had to work like I do. To my way of thinking that's what defines a real bike builder. Someday we will have a TV show of our own, showing what independent builders actually do on a day to day basis. Hope you guys and gals are up to it when it happens.

Absolutely!!
"Be the change you wish to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi

Return to “The Bull Pen”