1980 Z28 Camaro Restoration

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Re: 1980 Z28 Camaro Restoration

Post by yona »

Checked the link to make sure it worked !
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Thanks Yona, working on doing as complete of a restoration as i can. A friend is letting me use his big workshop to do my projects in, hopefully real soon it will be moved into the big workshop. Also doing a motor change plus transmission, thinking of putting in a 454 CI engine with a 700R4 transmission. Alot of work to do before i get that far along, i will be real happy to get all the bodywork done and in primer, ultimate performance car company is in canada and they have most parts for the 1980 Z28 Camaro restoration. :D :dance:
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Todays progress, fabricating patch pieces of sheetmetal to replace rotted sheetmetal. :think: :D :obscene-drinkingcheers: http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac13 ... 0_0378.jpg http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac13 ... 0_0379.jpg
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

Checked your pics ..... if you round the corners on the patches, the welds will tend to not pull so much, do one spot at a time and keep them at least 1.5 inches a part, use a small hammer to tap each one while hot , with a dolly behind it. just a good solid tap, it will counter act the shrinkage. i use cutting disc, on edge to grind the welds, as only a small parts contacts the weld sea. Sanding discs contacts the metal on each side and heats it and removes more than you think. I then use the sanding disc at a slight angle to blend. I also have a small HF band sander that is good to get right on top of the weld. Never use any type of bondo on bare metal...it will rot out at a later date...use All-Metal and take your time. I use a metal to metal primer and then maybe a glazing putty. Buy small cans of any filler anfd an throw it away if you have left it open ...any moisture starts to curing process ...that is why they use an hydroxide as the harder ! 454 with 700R4 is okay if you just cruise..never seen anyone stick to that...lol...a good TH400, with a home installed shift kit and a 2000 stall converter, will tear up any rear that you can put in it. Also the gas situation is not going to get better any time soon...done build something that has to sit in the driveway....a good V-6, with the right heads, headers and a small Holley 4bl, and a built 700R4, will pull with the best of them till you hit OD... ; ))
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Thanks for the information yona, there are alot of ways to do sheetmetal work depending on situation. The doors have a body line on the top under door lock mechanism, and on bottom of door. So there is a slight curve needed to be put in the patch pieces in those areas, i use a spray bottle with water when i do sheetmetal welding to cool down the welds. I make my welds about an inch or so apart then come back and forth to fill it all in little by little, i here what you are saying about engine and transmission size. Still not sure, depends what i find for a good deal. Probably put in a 350 CI high performance motor and a Turbo 400 transmission. We will see how things progress along. :D :think:
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

In one of Ron Covell's videos, he recommends NOT using water to cool welds.
Sudden cooling causes embrittlement of the metal.
Better to spread the welds farther apart, move the welding around to different areas more, allow to cool in ambient temps.
If it is a small patch, I would recommend doing part, then work on a different area or project while it cools.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Watched " c'hop, c'u't, r'e'b'u'ild" on the weekend. They replaced a rear quarterpanel, and were using wet rags to shrink the extra metal on the replacement panel . It worked very well. Now I wonder how advisable that was.
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Hi man, i kinda agree useing water to cool down welds can be too fast on the metal . Just gotta take your time to do it and keep welds spread out about one two one and a half inches apart to try not to get to much metal shrinkage etc. I watch chop cut rebuild all the time, lots of ideas and tips for doing stuff. Still need to get some more sheets of sheetmetal to do the rockers replacement and finish rear quarter panels, plus the other parts. Going to take some time with all the fabrication and bodywork, its all in the preparation work so you end up with a real good looking paint job without the bodywork showing any uneven panels etc. :D :obscene-drinkingcheers:
yona
Conventioneer

Post by yona »

I use air as Ron showed us...just let air blow over the surface as you take a break...I cut the fingers off of my gloves so I can feel the heat...never let it get to the point trhat you can't touch it ! ....by starting your spots a little apart, you keep the heat down and by the time you get back around to the first, it is usually cool enough to make another and you should trey to overlap the welds. If you move all over the place, the weld tends to have a lot of pinholes and by laying the spot half on top of another, you have less blow thru... also you should wire brush and clean all of the welds, after each pass, bump the metal up or down and ping all the spots with a nice sound tap of the hammer, to control the shrinkage ( we all want to control shrinkage ) Those litte spot weld are hard as hell and tehy will dimple the face of your average body hammer...so tap while they are hot and you will not have so much warpage... I only do metal hood scopes and I have never warped a hood 1
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

I always lightly grind down my welds, then i use some seem sealer on the joints to give extra protection. Most times i just use a cutt of disks to take the tops of the welds just a bit so they do not poke through the final bodywork, i am going to do this as perfect as i can, i only want to do this once. I really want to get the body in atleast primer this summer and maybe even painted. We will see how it goes. :D :obscene-drinkingcheers:
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Well great news, moveing my camaro into buddys big workshop in a few days and i will post up some pictures soon. :D :clap: :dance:
yona
Conventioneer

Post by yona »

Well , i don't use filler on my work....only primer....filler attracts moisture (rust)....I do use All-Metal to replace the leaded seams, after I completely weld and finish the seams. factory seams cracked because they did not weld them solid...
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Hi Yona, i mainly only use duraglass body filler. It is waterproof so no moisture can affect the bodywork, then maybe a skim coat of evercoat bodyfiller depending on how well it looks. Seam sealer is always smart to use when welding in new panels, gives great protection. Thats just my preference. :D :obscene-drinkingcheers:
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Hi guys and gals, been a long while. Been very busy working on my camaro restoration work, got it almost ready to remove engine and transmission plus exhaust system. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say. :D :obscene-drinkingcheers:
100_0667 resized.jpg
100_0667 resized.jpg (61.19 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
Attachments
100_0581 resized.jpg
100_0581 resized.jpg (56.2 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Looks like your have good weather to get that done in...Garage didn't work out?

Return to “The Bull Pen”