need replacement idea for hand knurl

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

need replacement idea for hand knurl

Post by krymis »

as it says i need an idea to replace the knurling on handlebars. I was thinking taking an auto punch to the OD of the stock many many times would work. Any ideas or comments?
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Re: need replacement idea for hand knurl

Post by rudog »

I've taken a chisel at a steep angle(<45*) with several light taps to gouge several lines in line with the piece. I've never used it for handle bars, but, if a punch will work, this works better.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

i know its not the best idea but i have gotten the bars where i want them and put a light tack weld with the tig no stick on the bottom risers it does hold em well and ya can break em loose if ya want to change bars later
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

small strip sand paper??
joechop
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: engineer working in construction industry and living outside of Pittsburgh PA. I recently completed my first build and hopefully more to come. officially started a side business for v-twin restomods... Vadori Designs.

Post by joechop »

If you want the knurls, there are hand knurling tools (big bukc tho) or you can make one from a pipe cutting tool with knurling wheels...
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

I just use a small sharp punch I made from a broken pin punch.... I tape off the area and make lines of punch marks about 3/16th apart....raises the material enough to bite....
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
concrete guy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just an Iowa country boy that has been pouring concrete for over 30 years. I have been around for awhile. I have watched 3 forums come and go. I built my first chop with the help of the great guys on this forum. I plan on building a few more. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I don't have the 200 word in me this morning! 8)

Post by concrete guy »

yona wrote:I just use a small sharp punch I made from a broken pin punch.... I tape off the area and make lines of punch marks about 3/16th apart....raises the material enough to bite....

Yona is speaking the Gospel there.......Just go get a nice punch and have at it. Works like a champ!
BIGJIM
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am not a bum. I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.

Post by BIGJIM »

I made my own from AMERICAN MADE parts, but it cost over $80.00.
ENCO..........Scroll down.
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Post by krymis »

guys i have a lathe and a hand knurler but i am doing an article for the mag and want to show guys how to do this with hand tools that they may already have. I think the punch on the bars and on the risers will be the answer.
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Well as your up for Ideas, being that chewing up a set of bars goes against my grain, what about drill & tap a wee hole under the riser and insert one of these... :think:
Attachments
ConePointlarge.jpg
ConePointlarge.jpg (20.91 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

" being that chewing up a set of bars goes against my grain " ............ You shouldn't be so heavy handed...LOL ..... I use the small ballpeen I have... Seriously the time and gas I would burn finding those , I just use what I have... those that have access to little wonders like that , Sweet ! It's about using what you have...like I save the little worn down scotch-brite pads and use them for engineturning the backs of SS seat pans...no one really sees it , but it is a nice finish...them work good on curved surfaces !
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
Maxthegardener
Builder

Post by Maxthegardener »

Nuff said http://www.choppercompendium.com/ccforu ... f=14&t=264 words eaten......sweet! :mrgreen:

I'll stick to my day job lol..
BIGJIM
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am not a bum. I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.

Post by BIGJIM »

Low down dirty way to do it is........
Clamp two smooth cut files in a vise on each side of the bar where you want the knurl using soft jaws, then tap one of the files with a hammer, the bars will need to rotate 180 degrees and you will have a knurl. :mrgreen:

Return to “The Bull Pen”