.com question about shared servers.

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
BlueCollarMoto
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I take a lot of pix at parties of bikes and the people who ride them and post em up on my blog New Blue Collar Moto. I have a bunch of bike projects. 70 Ironhead, 79 Ironhead, 90 Sportster, 79 Triumph Bonneville, 78 RD400 Cafe Racer, 80 XT250 Cafe Racer, and a 74 CL360 Scrambler Cafe Racer. I have also been trying to get started with metal casting some of my own motorcycle parts in aluminum. One of these days...

.com question about shared servers.

Post by BlueCollarMoto »

Not moto related but I want to move my blog to a .com and it would seem that most of the reviews I've been reading are written by the companies providing the service.

I'm figuring that since all the work that has gone on here and the old site Chopperhandbook this would be a trustworthy place for me to ask this question and maybe get a few options or suggestions.

I'm looking for a service with some good templates and speedy download times esp since I download up to and sometimes over 1000 pix per week. A server that is slow would frustrate me to death and be of no use to me. Search engine availability would also be great to bring customers to me. I assume not all of them are as visible to search engines?

I'm also wondering what the main problems are for the host servers that gets them to shut down sites? Too much traffic? Too much space being used on their hard drives? I have been reading some reviews and sales pitches and have discovered that even though a shared host says you will have unlimited space that is not always the case.

I'm done with Blogger.com. I like the templates and the way it downloads pix but there is a ass hat or two out there who are offended by boobies. They keep reporting me to the administrators and it has effectively shut my blog down the past 4-5 days. There is no way to find out who is doing it or block the person from my site. All I can figure the reason they keep trying to report me is on account of the morning tit content. About 99% of all the other pix I post are taken by me and the 1% that I steal from friends sites/blogs are added with a link as a promotion for their motorcycle related goods or services so it can't be that. Everyone enjoys getting a free plug!

In any case it's time for me to move up to a better platform for my posting. When I get my aluminum foundry going and start making my motorcycle parts It would be good if I already have myself set up with a .com anyway. Would make it all that much easier. I'm figuring 6 pages including a blog will be another requirement for any service I wind up using. I won't need to use any business services yet but it would be nice to be able to upgrade or use a compatible program in the future that has NOTHING TO DO with Pay Pal. Ebay and Pay Pal have been on my shit list for a long time now.

Any suggestions much appreciated!
The new dot com blog! http://bluecollarmoto.com/blog/
The old blog>>> http://newbluecollarmoto.blogspot.com/
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
BlueCollarMoto
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I take a lot of pix at parties of bikes and the people who ride them and post em up on my blog New Blue Collar Moto. I have a bunch of bike projects. 70 Ironhead, 79 Ironhead, 90 Sportster, 79 Triumph Bonneville, 78 RD400 Cafe Racer, 80 XT250 Cafe Racer, and a 74 CL360 Scrambler Cafe Racer. I have also been trying to get started with metal casting some of my own motorcycle parts in aluminum. One of these days...

Re: .com question about shared servers.

Post by BlueCollarMoto »

A friend of mine just recommended Host Gator. His site Knuckelbuster has been around ever since I bought my first computer. I'm gonna try it. If it's good enough for him it's good enough for me. Although I do post up a lot more pix every day.

Seems like the one big complaint by most of the customers feedback was about them (by "them" i'm referring to the top 10 sites in the google search) advertising unlimited space and bandwidth and then after they get your money springing on you their policy of what they consider to be "normal" amount of use. Nowhere does it describe what "normal" is.

Still interested in hearing what you guys have dealt with. Any tips would be appreciated.
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

I've used several and I'd rate HostGator as my number one choice. Their most popular standard prepackaged blog software is Wordpress or Joomla. Unlimited space and bandwidth and about a 99.5% uptime on the shared servers. Located in Texas and super excellent 24/7 phone or live tech support with real americans manning the office.
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Real americans....no way.. ;)

Here in the uk we have live tech support with real indians :shock: ........................Iam just fxxxkin with ya... :D peace..

standing british joke
BlueCollarMoto
NewB

Post by BlueCollarMoto »

We shall see. Now that I'm in there and figured out how to log in haha, I find out that the unlimited bandwidth is a Inodes 250,000 max. Whatever that is? I'll find out how many by getting shut down. It sounds like that's when things start going wrong as I was reading in so many user customer comments on so many of the site evaluations the past couple days. I would imagine a dedicated server would be the way to go but I'm sure that would cost some coin. Also it sounds like most providers tec support start blaming the wordpress their sites are set up to work with after ya reach your unlimited limit of Inodes. Learning a lot so far and haven't even gotten a "under construction" banner posted yet haha. First thing today I'm gonna figure out how to use the wordpress thing. Moderators feel free to delete this thread if ya want. I just figured since it pertains to motorcycle sites, blogs, etc as a good recommendation and possibly a learning tool. Sort of a tec post anyway. I'm thinking I may have to delete a bunch of pix and store them someplace else with just a link on the site. Or just dump em all into a slide show and put it to music after they have been on there for a while to keep the Inodes count down. I filled up my pic download availability on my first blog in a year and a half and had to start a second one. I'm guessing this will be about the same sort of deal?

Hell at least I'm in enough to make it official hahaha. Stoked!

Return to “The Bull Pen”