CBH Springer parts

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

CBH Springer parts

Post by krymis »

It was presented to me that some of the guys and gals building springers may not have access to a machine shop to have parts made. One section that was of great concern was the spring retainers. People emailed us about not liking the price on the stuff that was out there and what could i come up with....well here is my answer.

there is an eight pc retainer set made out of a durable plastic that will be $45.00 shipped in a flat rate box anywhere in the USA. You can buy the proper bushing from mcmaster car or we can provide the set of 2 to you. These parts will allow you to pinch the top and bottom of each of the top and bottom springs and keep them aligned with the spring rod. the fact that the bush is plastic and the retainers are plastic will help the spring rods not take a "set" as the metal system usually does.

Some of the other cool parts we have are plastic trees and spring perches, and lower clevis setups in plastic. These parts are made with the mind set that if you build a springer you will be ahead of the game with these patterns to measure your stuff out properly. It is made with the mindset of a garage builder going into low production springers. We also have a mock up jig that you will set the Rake and neck height and you will see what your springer should measure out and look like.

any questions please post. Also post your thoughts on what we are doing so we can help you guys get to building.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Re: CBH Springer parts

Post by Jeff L »

Thats cool man....hope you guys sell a shit load of them.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

By the way this is high impact plastic and should outlast the more conventional brass or aluminum retainers. The plastic mockup parts will make work far easier for you guys running small production or prototyping operations.
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

Would you need to buy 2 for a springer, or is this kit for bothe springs?

Also...Is this the 1st item in the CBH catalog?
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Will the plastic threads hold the spring tension?

I never cared much for springers, so don't know much about them. I assume the threads hold tension.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Post by krymis »

rudy,
we hope to have all kit parts for our blueprints. We are also looking into kits for prototype jigs for setup and small run production and tool kits (needed reamers drill bits holesaws and the like) to help making the parts easier.

Bob,
the threads were just part of an original prototype. The plastic part is just a retainer. You would add a washer and an acorn nut or the like.

another questions or suggestion on these parts?
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

I like the kit idea, for someone new to this, it's pretty time consuming to find out..
1. What you need for tools
2. Where to find them
3. Minor jig parts and fixtures

Thats after you decide on the style of bike you want to build, and find plans, or do them yourself, which
leads to a whole different quest.

How bout a flowchart? Don't remember ever seeing one of those, but break down the whole process, step by step,
on what someone needs to do to build their ride.

Maybe there is already something like that, and I just don't know about it.

Is that too much? I mean major steps, after you choose the type of bike you want to build.
Do you build a frame, or buy one? Use a jig, or not?
Link the steps in a flowchart to articles for detailed info.

Sounds like a huge amount of work. Probably not worth it, unless there was a market.

Just some rambling thoughts.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL

Return to “The Bull Pen”