48 inch hole saw

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

48 inch hole saw

Post by railroad bob »

I've been working at Pump Station 06 just south of the Yukon River the last 3 weeks. That is about 60 miles south of the Arctic Circle. I've seen several motorcycles traveling on the Haul Road, and talked with 3 guys one evening. They were stopped at the cafe run by the same business that runs the man camp our crews are staying in.
One was from Melbourne Australia, riding a Triumph Bonneville (modern) towing a small 2 wheel trailer. Said the suspension was too stiff.
The other 2 fellas were riding together, returning to Atlanta Georgia. All had ridden to Prudhoe Bay and were on their way south. The other 2 were riding a V-Strom 650 and a Triumph Tiger dual sport 800, which frequently got better mileage than the V-Strom, surprisingly.

The project I am working on is a temporary bypass of a section of the 48" TransAlaska Pipeline. It entails building a 24" bypass pipeline several hundred feet long, adding split tees to the mainline, hot-tapping the mainline and plugging it with stopples to divert the flow thru the bypass. The hot tap operation uses a 48" hole saw to penetrate the pipeline. RPM is approx 11, give or take one rpm, depending on what the sweet spot is. However, when you think of a saw that is 4 feet in diameter, the tooth speed is considerably faster, altho I haven't calculated it yet.

I'll post a couple pix later when I get somewhere there is better service. I took a lotta pics, but don't want to flood the server, and I still need to resize them for uploading.

I'll be back in Fbx tomorrow,but am leaving right away for L48, where I hope to hook up with Gary and Rudog while in Dallas.
Dallas will be a small portion of 2 and 1/2 weeks R&R for a reunion, camping, rafting, and riding my bike everywhere I go, between Silver City NM and Dallas, and points in-between, including Rio Chama, NM. I'm hoping to get as much as a couple thousand miles on my bike.
Yukon River from PS06.jpg
Yukon River from PS06.jpg (88.45 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Re: 48 inch hole saw

Post by railroad bob »

Now that I've seen that pic, I'm laughing, I'll put a better one on later, this was all that was easily available at the moment. I have to say that I'm probably at least a couple miles away tho.
I am using my cell, and only have wireless service in the chow hall, so haven't been able to email many pix yet. I do have some a LOT better.
TANSTAAFL
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

Have a safe journey!. Looks like I'll see you at Gary's. Oh, that's 138 SFM.
CaptCaveman
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: My bike ain't a lifestyle choide, it's a way of life. I've been riding since I was eight and prefer to ride more than most anything else. I can tear them down to little pieces and build them back to what I want. I don't care about about the brand name on the tank, only that it will take me where I've never been.

Post by CaptCaveman »

Beautiful country. Just out of curiosity were the riders doing the ultimate ironbutt http://ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=22 or just doing the trip for the hell of it?
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

The 3 I spoke to did not mention the Iron Butt Rally.
I am finally back in an area with INet service and will begin posting again.

Had a great meet with Gary and Rudy, good conversation, and got to show Gary my CBH sticker on my bike which I've had on it since I don't
remember how long ago, but it was when BuellFun made them many years ago.
TANSTAAFL
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

You have probably covered this before, Bob; do you leave your bike down south?
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

I had a good time. I took I75 into Dallas. It's a war-zone for a bike trying to exit. Took the back roads home. It was a pleasant ride. Bob, your pipes sound sweet and you do like to play 'em. I'll bet you get better gas milage if you used less gas with the clutch dis-engaged.

Hans, he does, and took what is left of RT66 to Dallas. Definately not the stories of legend.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

rudog wrote:
Hans, he does, and took what is left of RT66 to Dallas. Definately not the stories of legend.
Thanks, rudog. Travel stories are always a good read.
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

I traveled to town this morning. I came home with a DANA30 diff. in the trunk. Not sure where this road will go, but I'll take pics along the way.
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

What do you need a diff for ....you triking it .. ; )
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

yona wrote:What do you need a diff for ....you triking it .. ; )
I've only seen the young or old on trikes. I am right behind you in age. :D I've been trying to develop a catalog in case I re-open my shop to the public. I've designed the rear-end and done pricing and figured it wouldn't be viable. I'll build one just to see it though. You never know...we may just bump tires one day. Like Ben Hurr'in it.

I've got until the next election to make up my mind. Come January I'll either be employed or self employed. My current status is self-unemployed.
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

The trick is staying gainfully unemployed.
We can do anything, impossible just takes longer.

Return to “The Bull Pen”