Master Painter Passes Away

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
Kiwicaveman
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am a mechanical engineer working in the oil and gas industry based in a gas treatment plant in south Taranaki new Zealand.
I live in New Plymouth, Taranaki, New Zealand
I have been riding bikes for over 40 years

Master Painter Passes Away

Post by Kiwicaveman »

I found out today that master custom bike painter Jeff McCann passed away 8 June 2012. Very sad, he was aged 66 years.
Jeff painted only bikes and was responsible for pin stripping and gold leafing Arlen Ness bikes for decades.
Jeff has a ton of photos on Flickr of bikes he painted and customs he built over about 40 years. He was owner of custom bike shops and his Flickr site has photos of his shop from the 1970's, including his catalogues.
His Flickr site includes a mass of info and how too do articles on painting, inc pin stripping, painting flames, etc.

If you want to know more checkout Jeffs web site " motorcyclesforever.com
Google "mcwont" and you will find his Flickr site.

RIP Jeff
Last edited by Kiwicaveman on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
"This is your life, are you who you want to be?
This is your life, is it everything you dreamed that it would be
When the world was younger and you had everything to lose?"
Switchfoot
Kiwicaveman
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am a mechanical engineer working in the oil and gas industry based in a gas treatment plant in south Taranaki new Zealand.

Re: Master Painter Passes Away

Post by Kiwicaveman »

One of Jeff McCanns Customs, built 1996
Attachments
BPChop 07 small 3.jpg
BPChop 07 small 3.jpg (249.14 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
Switchfoot
Kiwicaveman
NewB

Post by Kiwicaveman »

Jeff McCanns last build 2001
Attachments
LO 01 small 03.jpg
LO 01 small 03.jpg (133.92 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
Switchfoot
Kiwicaveman
NewB

Post by Kiwicaveman »

Tribal Gold Leaf paint job
Attachments
Tribal Leaf small 01.jpg
Tribal Leaf small 01.jpg (72.92 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
Switchfoot
Early Iron
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I've been building and working on motorcycles for over 35 years, I own a bike shop and I am a tool & die maker. I'm into old motorcycles more than new ones, and am also into old machine tools. I mostly build my bike from old parts or parts that I make.

Post by Early Iron »

Yes he was one of the best here's a pic of him back in the old days.
Attachments
3642517068_4ee40a9d0a.jpg
3642517068_4ee40a9d0a.jpg (192.89 KiB) Viewed 2533 times
Mark.
Kiwicaveman
NewB

Post by Kiwicaveman »

I have just been back to Jeff McCanns Flickr page and find that all of his photos are now copyright to Jeff. This is a recent change as previously they were available for down load and non business use.
So all four of the photos above are posted in breach of copyright. I will remove the three I posted if the board administrators want me to.
Cheers
Switchfoot
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

when posted, they were perfectly legal, so until someone emails me with a take down request, i see nothing wrong with them.

thanks for posting them, it's truly sad to see such a talent leave the world. a huge loss.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Kiwicaveman
NewB

Post by Kiwicaveman »

Thanks for that. I can only assume that Jeff's family have changed the copyright since Jeff's death.
The info on Flickr is amazing and is well worth exploring. Jeff was a gifted artist and was willing to share his knowledge with everyone, which makes the copyright change a bit disappointing. I believe that there is enough info on Jeff's Flickr page for two or three books, perhaps the family want to keep the info for a future publication.
Cheers
Switchfoot
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

His paint work is/was outstanding.Man...I really like that Digger hes sittin on.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
IRISH
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi All,
My name is Craig Irish. I live in Northern California. I've been a member for a long time but I am re registering because the board is new. I have a project build thread on this board call Irish's Old School Chopper Project. I'm glad the board is still going and I very much appreciate Dan keeping it going. Thanks Dan!
Craig

Post by IRISH »

Early Iron wrote:Yes he was one of the best here's a pic of him back in the old days.
Sorry to hear bout Mr. McCann's passing. That sporty is for sure a Ness bike. That's the style he started. I really dig the gold and silver leaf paint jobs.

Return to “The Bull Pen”