Dyna high speed vibrations?

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Dyna high speed vibrations?

Post by budoka »

ok, i know this is a bit away from our standard focus, but i've got a guy asking me about a vibration he's getting in his Dyna at around 90 mph (150 km or so). he's asking me what folks in the States (and elsewhere) do to solve this problem, as it seems to be a pretty common problem in Dynas.

any ideas?

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Re: Dyna high speed vibrations?

Post by krymis »

tire pressure, tighten neck bearings, tighten handlebar lugs.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

mine is a 2007 bought it new 12000 miles had the same problem was a bad front motormount appearantly the torque from burnouts tears the rubber in the mount good luck hope you figure it out
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
hdwgfx
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Long time member in Greater New Orleans Area. I have been riding since I was 14 yrs old, first Harley in 1973. I own a 02 fxdx and a 01 fxdwg which is all apart. I have been a full time caregiver for my mother for the last 6 yrs. before that I was a network administrator for a big oil company but most of my life I have been mechanic/machinist etc. this is boring gezzzz

Post by hdwgfx »

Read this ->

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/harle ... rials.html

I have a 02 dyna with modified 95" motor I did the above and it helps. I ride hard, this was the first rubber mount I ever rode and I hated it. I have turned some friends on to the above fix with later models ( 06 and up ) they all came back with positive results.

I also have a true track system --> http://www.true-track.com/ which definitely works ... diff is like day and night
NOTW
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

damnow you got me thinking i let the dealer install the mount now im going to have to check it tomorrow . ive been thinkin about the true track hopeing i can afford it this winter it always feels like the rear tire is flat with theese rubermount frames im hopeing it helps
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
hdwgfx
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Long time member in Greater New Orleans Area. I have been riding since I was 14 yrs old, first Harley in 1973. I own a 02 fxdx and a 01 fxdwg which is all apart. I have been a full time caregiver for my mother for the last 6 yrs. before that I was a network administrator for a big oil company but most of my life I have been mechanic/machinist etc. this is boring gezzzz

Post by hdwgfx »

Curt from what I have read the rubber mount system was designed to have 3 links , top front and rear by Eric Buell the factory didn't think the front and rear were necessary LOL - the true track is worth the money IMO ( several of my friends bought them also ) and will get rid of that back wheel feeling like it's moving around. I also removed my rubber mounts and filled the gaps between the rubber and the metal with silicone, I did this before I bought the true track, this made a big difference, the silicone eventually worked it's way out after @ 8k hard miles, I'm gonna pull them out soon and fill the gaps with JB Weld or something else............ sonner or later they will be solid LOLOLOL
NOTW
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

thanks for your input, guys. that's the reason i love this place.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

it def needed to be shimed almost a quarter of an inch should have known better than let the dealer screw with it they never get it right thanks for the tip there havent test rode it yet dam weather been crap

Return to “The Bull Pen”