new toys

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

new toys

Post by curt »

070.jpg
070.jpg (160.54 KiB) Viewed 2676 times
065.jpg
065.jpg (185.91 KiB) Viewed 2676 times
066.jpg
066.jpg (178.25 KiB) Viewed 2676 times

been busy as hell lately workin to buy some new toys picked up a edwards iron worker with a bunch of punch and dies and a bender dam nice machine it cuts 1/2 inch plate 12 inches wide and bends it with almost no effort . then i just got an old south bend lathe looks to need some work but nothing i shouldnt be able to get going . dont know much about it yet i cant read the plate where the model number is too badly banged up . should be way better than my harbor freight as much as i try and beef it up it still has lots of flex at the tool post dont think ill have that problem with the south bend and the south bend has a left hand thread position so i should be able to turn going away from the chuck as well . i think i look foreward to rebuilding it as much as makeing stuff with it . i still need to get back to the bike projects too just not enough hours in the day to play
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Re: new toys

Post by rudog »

You lucky dog! New toys is fun.

Try to restrain yourself from punching, bending and shearing all the material in sight.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

i tried for a bout 30 seconds couldnt resist
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

got the lathe running today it runs real smoothe and quiet it is definatly nice to be able cut the face on auto . got some cleaning and some stuck knobs to free up but it already cuts way better than the harbor freight looks like ill have a harbor freight for sale soon
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Post by Indian Mark »

Sweet! I dig that kind of stuff
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

got all the rust and crust off the lathe mostly in primer waiting for the paint to show up got everything free and working properly got to find a new screw for the cross slide way too much backlash for my taste and probably a new chuck so i can clamp larger things from the outside but everything else is well within tollerence unbelieveable for a 60 plus year old machine . but then again thats when things were made to last . i ll post some pics this weekend
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

Double check the screw and nut when you take it apart. The nut is designed to wear. The screw may be OK.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

www.lindsaybks.com used to sell repair and maintenance manuals for south bend lathes that were the last word on the subject of bringingan old , abused piece of equipment back to a useable state of precision !!
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

rudog wrote:Double check the screw and nut when you take it apart. The nut is designed to wear. The screw may be OK.

the end of the screw is broke off where the crank handle is someone welded it back on they did a good job but it hasno indicator anymore . i have been on e bay there are a couple just scrapein some cash together now but ya there is some wear on the nut too . the compound has about 3 thousands backlash im thinking thats real good for a machine this old.im thinkin i can live with thatone for a lil while
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

001.jpg
001.jpg (127.54 KiB) Viewed 2554 times
002.jpg
002.jpg (128.78 KiB) Viewed 2554 times
003.jpg
003.jpg (155.42 KiB) Viewed 2554 times
004.jpg
004.jpg (168.3 KiB) Viewed 2554 times
partial primer gettin ready for paint you can see where someone welded the cross slide screw togetherto the handle they used a nut and washers for the space where the indicator was gotta replace theese parts everything else seems to be fine cant wait for the paint to get here . i orderd rustolem hamertone dark green ill probably hit it with some ppg clear when its done should make it much easier to keep it clean . i plan to use the hell outa this thing
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

coming up nice
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

thanks max. today took the apron apart to get everything cleaned up and primed . was about ten pounds of crud in all the gears everything cleaned up nice. supriseingly everything was in great shape considering all the crud built up on everything . pain in the ass puting the clutch back together but everything went well should have more pics monday
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Post by Indian Mark »

Sometimes all that crud is caked with oil and grease and actually helps. Sometimes not so much.
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

there was way too many metal shaveings in it too plus the oil holes were plugged but i did think at first it was just heavy grease and was going to leave it but found the shaveings after the first coat of primer had to strip it down
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Nice dude...way to resurrect an old work horse...Cleaned up good.I assume you keeping them at work?What are you gonna do with all your shit if you ever leave there.....?
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain

Return to “The Bull Pen”