Twin Cam 88A engine and trans frame ideas

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.

What Type of Frame

Poll ended at Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:31 am

Rigid
100%
Softail
No votes

Total votes: 8

BigBoy
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: 33 Yr old Mrine Veteran. I ride a 2000 FXDX. From the great country of Texas. I was a member of the prevoius chopper builders Handbook forum. I also have purchased the chopper builders handbook dvd. I am looking to build a new frame or two for my Twin Cam A motor and trans.

Twin Cam 88A engine and trans frame ideas

Post by BigBoy »

I am in the thought process of building a frame or possibly two to put the motor and trans from my FXDX into. Before everyone gets on the subject of "that is the best handling bike HD ever made". I got the bike for real cheap. it isnt my style of bike. It was a gift from the wife and kids. I told her that i wouldnt get rid of it just because of that reason. I did tell her however that the bike MAY change shapes. she is cool with that. i have seen a couple rigid frames on the innerweb but to me they look like S#!t. Also seen a couple softail versions that look the same. I am fishing for ideas from you guys that i have seen that have built some cool bike that dont look like hack jobs.

Thanks in advance

Big Boy
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Re: Twin Cam 88A engine and trans frame ideas

Post by Indian Mark »

Wish I had some great advice or ideas for ya,... Post a build log as you go with this project.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Show us a picture as it is now. Then tell us how you would like it to look. Lower, longer, different seat...............???????
BigBoy
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: 33 Yr old Mrine Veteran. I ride a 2000 FXDX. From the great country of Texas. I was a member of the prevoius chopper builders Handbook forum. I also have purchased the chopper builders handbook dvd. I am looking to build a new frame or two for my Twin Cam A motor and trans.

Post by BigBoy »

Here is the only pic i have of it. looking at possibly 4 up 2 out springer front end 200 rear tire and lower to the ground
Attachments
securedownload1.jpg
securedownload1.jpg (110.58 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

ideas.JPG
ideas.JPG (149.41 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
BigBoy
NewB

Post by BigBoy »

nice bike
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Install some ribbed Valve and side covers,

Get some brass goodies from BIGJIM,

http://brassforbikes.webs.com/

add a chrome springer. I've always liked the H/D Heritage springer.

Definitely lower it. I like the swingarm style with big chrome rear shocks.

Ditch the stock wheels.

yep
yep
ideas1.JPG (14.59 KiB) Viewed 2381 times
ok
ok
ideas2.JPG (23.35 KiB) Viewed 2381 times
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

I was gonna give my opinion till I read the last 6 words of your post....ah Fuck it...Ill give it anyway....Ridgid...long & low
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

rigid softails suck too dam heavy too slushy in the corners and they look like everyone elses bike
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

sporty
Attachments
harley-street-bob.jpg
harley-street-bob.jpg (16.16 KiB) Viewed 2371 times
BigBoy
NewB

Post by BigBoy »

I like the redneck modern wide glide springer. I have a cradle from a road king that I'm thinking about using. Thanks everyone and keep it coming.
BigBoy
NewB

Post by BigBoy »

Well friends a little update. I have been lucky twice over. I was given a wrecked 97 Mustang just to get it off the mans property. Turns out another buddy of mine needs it but has no cash. Instead he has a 9 over paughco springer that he has traded me. This is where i need some advice i have been looking at the plans from the dvd trying to figure out stretch and rake needed for this frontend. i was wanting to keep everthing reasonable like the plans. roughly 4 in the down tubes 1.5 backbone and roughly a 38* rake. these are at best rough deminsions. i am trying to keep the bottom rails level with the ground. Thanks in advance
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

To me unless you really feel the need the keep the frontend 9 over, I would build the frame the way you want, then modify the springer to fit.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
BigBoy
NewB

Post by BigBoy »

I guess what I'm needing to know is how do I calculate for the springer at ride height under weight. I would rather measure a dozen times and only cut once. Regardless weather I'm modifying the springer or the frame.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

Got ya.There is either an article or thread somewhere that addressed that.hopefully someone can direct you to it.

Return to “The Bull Pen”