Motor dilemma??

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.

Motor dilemma?

100 inch Crazy Horse Indian motor $5000
47%
80 inch Harley Davidson black and chrome $3000
47%
other advice, ideas??
5%

Total votes: 19

Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Motor dilemma??

Post by Indian Mark »

So, It looks like I'll be doing a side job soon that should net me around $5000 cash. For me, that's a lot of money that doesn't need to go to the daily grind. My plan is to put it into my bike build. The question is this: Do I, "A", spend the entire $5K on the motor I'd really really really want. A Crazy Horse Indian 100 incher. and possibly delay the completion of the bike for quite some time. Or, "B", buy the second choice motor. A new Harley Davidson 80 inch black and chrome for about $3000. This choice would leave me $2000 to buy whats needed to finish putting the bike together.
lee.c
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Lee Chamberlain. I was a member of the old site but did not post much (same user name). I really like making my own parts and have seen some great ideas on you're site. I have a 59 triumph chopper that I've had since the late 80s that been going thru a slow rebuild and a 48 pan that keeps me to busy to get much done on the triumph. I started building a springer from Garys cd and have a old chopped wishbone frame so some day the pan will get a 70s long bike treatment. Well thanks for you're time and website, hope I make the cut

Re: Motor dilemma??

Post by lee.c »

Get the Indian. You're always going to regret it if you don't.
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

He's right. You know it.
We can do anything, impossible just takes longer.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.

Post by Indian Mark »

Yeah, been thinking the same thing. Just hate to have the project sit even longer thinking I had the money to put it together. We'll see how the job goes first.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

id say the indian if you plan on keeping the project bike for yourself because youll never b happy with it if ya dont and end up sellin it the best part of a project bike is you get it the way you want it dont compromise on a thing who cares how long it takes its the journey that makes you appreciate it more than anything
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Indian..........
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

do the Indian if that's your dream. these chances come around for a reason.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Im gonna have to sway from popular opinion...3.5 hp. Briggs & Stratton....you should go all in & get the Indian.Thats where my vote goes.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
Toff
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Chop lover, own 78 shovel chop, panhead and FXR. Like shotguns, rock, the drags, animals and wimmen too. Owned over 40 bikes, ridden over 30 years. Own Harleys (for a long time too) but love all bikes, got a soft spot for old Brit bikes and Kawasaki's Zeds, as well as Staffies and greyhounds.

Post by Toff »

Oh boy . Don't wish to confuse the issue , but I voted for the Harley engine. Reason ? I've got a Panhead project that would have been finished by now if i'd used an evo or even a shovel mill. But since i've got those already, that's what it had to be. If this is your only ride then go for the harley engine , and have the money to finish it promptly and ride .
Jim Sawyer
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 25,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it

Post by Jim Sawyer »

[ If this is your only ride then go for the harley engine , and have the money to finish it promptly and ride .[/quote]
That is why I picked the Harley
I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 71,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

Thanks for the awesome responses guys!! I really appreciate them. Here's my situation, I have two other bikes. (I'll try to attach photos) I plan on keeping the chopper (or whatever it really should be called). I'm really leaning toward the Indian motor, but totally understand Toff's point of view. As some of you know this bike has had it's ups and downs, and has been sitting for the last three years while I recovered from the financial disaster of 2009. Also I do need to actually get the side job and earn the dough. :) I'll totally keep you posted.
Attachments
Indianx.jpg
Indianx.jpg (140.04 KiB) Viewed 2753 times
roadkingx.jpg
roadkingx.jpg (220.11 KiB) Viewed 2753 times
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

This is the project bike that the motor will go into....someday.
Attachments
chopx.jpg
chopx.jpg (166.86 KiB) Viewed 2749 times
IRISH
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi All,
My name is Craig Irish. I live in Northern California. I've been a member for a long time but I am re registering because the board is new. I have a project build thread on this board call Irish's Old School Chopper Project. I'm glad the board is still going and I very much appreciate Dan keeping it going. Thanks Dan!
Craig

Post by IRISH »

I vote for the HD because you can get that bike on road sooner.
Neo Dutch
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Intereseted in all thing motorcycling, particularly modifications folk do to their bikes. Admire quality design and workmanship. Not so keen on bolt-on parts, but they have their place in the world. Not everyone can be a master machinist, welder or spray painter, but that won't stop me from trying. Great admirer of master engravers and have been working hard for several years to improve my skills in this most difficult of crafts. Also enjoy pin striping, and am fairly good at it.
Favourite food is Spam. Here's some good recipes www.pinheadlounge.com/neodutch . Kill Flanders.

Ha ha.

Post by Neo Dutch »

You'll have company.

The tell tale tickle of ashphalt on the sagging underbelly of my lowered expectations.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

Paulie has used those motors a few times. Or maybe it's the same one he keeps using. Either way no one is ever really going to ride those things, so He should give it to me cheap. That's my vote. I'll keep you posted...

Return to “The Bull Pen”