How much will a Paughco springer rocker move

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
BigBoy
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: 33 Yr old Mrine Veteran. I ride a 2000 FXDX. From the great country of Texas. I was a member of the prevoius chopper builders Handbook forum. I also have purchased the chopper builders handbook dvd. I am looking to build a new frame or two for my Twin Cam A motor and trans.

How much will a Paughco springer rocker move

Post by BigBoy »

I know I may be beating this to death but here goes. I have read everything that i can get my eyeballs on about springers and either I'm a flippin idiot or it hasnt been addressed. I read all 78 pages of the Rude and Crude old school springer build and it still didnt shed any light on my situation. The mock up was for a frame that has already been built. What I am tryng to do is modify a frame for a 9 over paughco springer that i have. I called Paughco to verify that it was 9 over. measuring from the top of the top triple tree to the pivot pont it is 36". this measurement was taken per their instructions. looking to run a 5" frame height with a 40* rake with front end. how do i measure offset?
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Re: How much will a Paughco springer rocker move

Post by gww25 »

That's a hard question to answer because it depends on where you decide to measure the movement at. In general the axle will deflect about 1.5" if you're using 6" springs with stock length rockers. The geometry is basically worked out based up your free spring length and rocker length measured from rear pivot hole to axle hole.
rakeNtrail
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just a grumpy old welder/chopperhedd Spent far too much time burning wire for a living but hey, one does have to pay the bills ya know! Worked shipyards and fab shops welding about everything stick, mig, tig and sub-arc. Both hand held and automated. Worked weekends in a Honda shop in the late 70's and in an all bike shop in the late 80's thru early 90's. Likes? Choppers, rock-N-roll, NRA and boobies! Dislikes? PC, VD, AARP & NAACP I'm pro business and totally against big government interfering in our daily lives. Live free or die baby and you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands. Do love little children and puppies though. Both of them can turn me into a 300lb. old softie!

Re: How much will a Paughco springer rocker move

Post by rakeNtrail »

gww25 wrote:That's a hard question to answer because it depends on where you decide to measure the movement at. In general the axle will deflect about 1.5" if you're using 6" springs with stock length rockers. The geometry is basically worked out based up your free spring length and rocker length measured from rear pivot hole to axle hole.

Doesn't also depend on how much the fat ass in the saddle weighs? :popcorn: :auto-dirtbike: :laughing-rolling: :auto-biker: :confusion-shrug:

Return to “The Bull Pen”