And yet another "another new guy"..

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
Marty
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: first time builder...in search of knowledge :)

Presently i'm in the process of building a softail. 4+ backbone, 38 rake and 2+/5 rake forks/trees. Normally i'm pretty inclined mechanically, though i gotta say some aspects of this are somewhat leaving me shaking my head lol.

And yet another "another new guy"..

Post by Marty »

hey all

name is Marty...and i'm in southern Ontario, Canada just outside of Niagara Falls, ON. Although, i've spent a lot of time in Niagara Falls NY lately picking up parts i think i'm gonna have to apply for dual citizenship soon :)

i've just started my first build, and even though i'm normally pretty mechanically inclined there are definitely a few things that are nudging me toward picking up the sledge hammer ;) Especially when it's something that should be a "well it came in the box like that it should go back together the same way", but i'll find the proper sections and post those little gems as they arise :D

a little intro to the "one day will be a" bike:

softail, final effect = street custom with a bobber flair
4" stretch on the backbone, 38* rake, 1" offset on the tranny/swing-arm
"trying" to use Ultima 58mm inverted forks 5* rake, +2" (my first issue so far...will explain in proper section)
have the Ultima 6-speed in hand, starter on order and thinking between a 113 and 117 power plant
custom oval oil tank is also on order (didn't like the horse-shoe style), pretty sure i'll go dragger front and rear fenders (rear will float with swing-arm)
i have a set of Carlini super sweep bars but again, not sure i'll dig the look so prob switch up to either a cafe or short ape styling

Looking forward to picking everyone's brain and learning from your experiences (good and bad lol) :)

cheers!!

Marty
BIGJIM
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am not a bum. I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.

Re: And yet another "another new guy"..

Post by BIGJIM »

Welcome! :mrgreen:
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Post by sleepyonthree »

Good you could join us.
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
Marty
NewB

Presently i'm in the process of building a softail. 4+ backbone, 38 rake and 2+/5 rake forks/trees. Normally i'm pretty inclined mechanically, though i gotta say some aspects of this are somewhat leaving me shaking my head lol.

Post by Marty »

thanx guys...good to be here :)
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

welcome
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Welcome....but we'll need pics :popcorn:
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Welcome to the site Marty...
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Marty
NewB

Post by Marty »

appreciate the welcomes gents :)

will try for some pics Maxthegardener, but there's not a heck of a lot to look at yet :)
BigBoy
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: 33 Yr old Mrine Veteran. I ride a 2000 FXDX. From the great country of Texas. I was a member of the prevoius chopper builders Handbook forum. I also have purchased the chopper builders handbook dvd. I am looking to build a new frame or two for my Twin Cam A motor and trans.

Post by BigBoy »

this is from the Paughco web site. hopefully it will help you
Attachments
Front End.xlsx
(9.81 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
Marty
NewB

Post by Marty »

it does BigBoy, thanx tons!!!!

originally i tried a set of +4 and ya things looked a little high even w/o the weight of a motor in there. I then bought a set of +2. Now if i could just get the damn things back together after installing them lol
It does let me know that i finally got at least something right :D

again, much thanx!!
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Post by Indian Mark »

Hey Mart,y Welcome. Ever get to the Port Dover Friday the 13th parties??
BigBoy
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: 33 Yr old Mrine Veteran. I ride a 2000 FXDX. From the great country of Texas. I was a member of the prevoius chopper builders Handbook forum. I also have purchased the chopper builders handbook dvd. I am looking to build a new frame or two for my Twin Cam A motor and trans.

Post by BigBoy »

Not a problem Marty. I have been looking for the same info for my springer. Understand this is by no means the only way. just a good starting point. looking at tweeking my to 38* with a 9 over springer
Marty
NewB

Post by Marty »

haven't yet Mark, haven't had a "reason" as yet...k, the sights n sounds would be a good reason, but imo w/o a decent ride to thunder in on, well....
hopefully this year i'll have that :D

i know quite a few people tho that have made the trip and have told me it's something one definitely has to experience for him/herself
hopefully i can get everything wrapped up by September..or worst case December lol
i've ridden in snow and -10C before (stripped '81 Wing eons ago) so either way i'll get there sometime this year :)
Marty
NewB

Post by Marty »

BigBoy wrote:Not a problem Marty. I have been looking for the same info for my springer. Understand this is by no means the only way. just a good starting point. looking at tweeking my to 38* with a 9 over springer
I hear ya BigBoy. I've done what research i can but without having everything in hand, pretty much you're left with a big "maybe it'll work" :)

good luck with yours!!!
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

dude, don't worry so much about the "proper sections" part. post it up, and if we don'Yt like where it is, we'll move it :mrgreen: .

great to have another wrench turner around. if i can be of any help in your project, let me know and i'll do what i can.

welcome to the CC!

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/

Return to “The Bull Pen”