Artistry Plumbing

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Artistry Plumbing

Post by rudog »

Hi, yall. I've been trying to plumb some parts and have used every trick I know. I've brazed SS to copper, tig'd the massive copper, soldered the smaller copper, bent tight coils with sand, and engineered a needle valve all for low pressure application.

Something came to mind for butt soldering the smaller pipe (yes pipe) to the massive pipe. It didn't work as well as I hoped, but this is 1st try. a good 'nuff for now. I used a drywall joint compuond (mud) to create a damm for the solder. The hope was that it would also hold some heat from the small plumbers torch I was using. mHi, yall. I've been trying to plumb some parts and have used every trick I know. I've brazed SS to copper, tig'd the massive copper, soldered the smaller copper, bent tight coils with sand, and engineered a needle valve all for low pressure application.

Something came to mind for butt soldering the smaller pipe (yes pipe) to the massive pipe. It didn't work as well as I hoped, but this is 1st try. a good 'nuff for now. I used drywall joint compound (mud) as a dam to contain my sloppy soldering and hopefully insulate the massive pieces to hold the heat. My propane rosebud is out of propane.
1.JPG
1.JPG (44.12 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
This is what it looked like after ALOT of time. I used 12ga copper and vice grips as a soldering iron to try to direct the flow. I can't do it any other way. It scrqtches the coper to allow adhesion that flux just won't do.
2.JPG
2.JPG (97.48 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
After about 20min with a dremel, file, and various polising techniqes...this is what I got. The best secret for polishing copper/aluminum is a good 'ol SOS pad.
3.JPG
3.JPG (89.07 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
Now on to my next hobby! ;) ;)
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Re: Artistry Plumbing

Post by gearhead1951 »

what are you creating ??
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

It's a new fangled invention named after it's designer, bokabob. It's used for the purification of orally injested fluids.
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

Ever try sta-brite liquid flux? As a tattoo artist from the old school, I have tried all of them on stainless. We all use sta-brite, that and ruby fluid paste were the only ones that worked worth a crap. Good luck on your project. :popcorn:

I realize thats not stainless, but since those worked on ss, they are all I use on copper, too. Lol, figured I should explain a bit more.
We can do anything, impossible just takes longer.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Trust an old Tennessee hillbilly on this . If you plan on drinking or sharing with the intent of drinking any "liquid" produced from this equipment , you absolutly can NOT use any lead in its construction (solder ect...) or else your brew will be poison !!
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

Oops... Nevermind.
We can do anything, impossible just takes longer.
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

Bought an old pressure cooker at a yard sale ....hooked a coil of copper tube from an ice making kit from H/Depot with a small piece of hose and 2 stainless clamps .... put coils in a styrofoan ice chest and add ice ...... works for me .... ; )
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

heheh...this thread is useless without more pics lol..
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

If you can't make one with out pics ........ You have advanced beyonf medicinal purposes already... CAUTION !!!! .... ; P
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

Sorry, Max. It was rather rude(dog) to abandon this thread. I'll post some more pics/info tomorrow.

I just got back from a state rally. Put 400mies on the bike in the past 3 days. Did a 105mi pocker run with about 30 others. It was my 1st so I took the tail. By the end, I was in the top 10. Confidence is one thing, but, some people just can't ride

We were running late for the chapt. meeting. 5 of us and 1 chase car took out for the 100 mi trip home. I was 3rd. We were all spaced within a semi-truck's shadow and were cuising @100+++.I didn't realise how stupid it was until we got to the meeting. If we'ld have gotten stopped, we'ld ALL be in jail.

Needles to say I've got some stories I'll never tell. To be honest...I didn't belive them anyway... when they told me the following morning.
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

Here's how the needle valve outputs into the final cooler. It's a simple water jacket to further cool the condensate. Quality must be measured @60*F.
4.JPG
4.JPG (45.03 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
These are the componants of the refux/cooling column. I used sand to support the tube, but it still crimped at the tight bottom bend. I tried to hide it in the pic. The only missing piece is the 3/8" cap for the valve.
SAM_7.JPG
SAM_7.JPG (48.38 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
A SS sink strainer is brazed to a short pc of 1 1/2" pipe. The coupling was supposed to slip fit, but is a little loose. I'll make a PVC collar to support the assy. in line.

Here's a shot down the top. All of the condensate will travel down the sides or drip onto the upper plate. All will then be collected into the pool formed by the lower plate. I used a file to fit the hole flush to the lower plate before soldering the valve. I'm not doing all this work to leave even 1 drop behind.
6.JPG
6.JPG (43.81 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
Still wainting to contact a source for SS water heater fittings. That will be the last item on the list before I find a violin case to store this cannon.. Here's some good reading for those interested.

(this is the lowBW archive. A link to the wi-fi version is included on the page)
http://homedistiller.org//static_menu.htm

(these are the gen2 design instructions.)
http://wiki.homedistiller.org/Boka_Refl ... w_To_Build
BIGJIM
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am not a bum. I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.

Post by BIGJIM »

McMaster Carr will have your fittings, also they have Silver Solder rods, don't use Chink tubing, it contains lead, only use USA or Canada Stamped tube.
Trust me, I have made many parts for the water treatment Plant when I worked at Avon.

Return to “The Bull Pen”