Road Rash Article

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Road Rash Article

Post by railroad bob »

This article is written by a young lady who was injured in a motorcycle accident,
and wanted to share her experience.

http://fzronline.com/wiki/doku.php?id=e ... on_learned
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
jbfrmca
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: dan. my names john or jbfrmca on most boards . i was on the old board(not very much i'm afraid) been messing with bikes my whole life. still want to learn as much as i can while i can. thanks in advance. later john.

Re: Road Rash Article

Post by jbfrmca »

wow that girl went thru hell and back.
i tell anyone and everyone i know to dress for the crash not the ride.
thanks for posting this wake up call.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

What a story!
Thanks for posting that.
Check out her site link.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

I love hearing from and about strong women like this, and seeing them in the male dominated workplace. Gives me hope that my granddaughters will have opportunities to excel.
I don't understand guys who demean women. It could be their own mom, sister, daughter, enduring the same bullshit harrassment somewhere else.
Thanks for pointing out her link, I missed that.
I'm impressed by her attitude and achievements.
TANSTAAFL
neale
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I have had an interest in choppers from the '70's when I was in high school, reading custom chopper mag etc, I have never had or built a chopper to date, I'm trying to learn, I am acquiring equipment (tube bender, oxy torch etc) and am trying to get started building up the skills and information I need to get started on building a chopper.
My current bike is a Yamaha XV1000, I would class it as a mild custom rather than a chopper, a lot of the useless (to me) bits have been removed and I am trying to modify and chop a few more things off to get it to a longer, lower, leaner machine with better performance (custom shortened rear shocks, refabricate forward controls and drag bars, try and get raked cups working on it etc), but IMHO it doesn't have the right type of frame to build a "proper" chopper on, so I am looking for a more suitable donor bike for the project.

Post by neale »

She's an inspiration, being brave enough to be able to put all that happened out there for the world to see, in hope that she can prevent it happening to others.

What gets me though is that the "friend" who was showing off at 120 MPH with a girl on the back who had no real protection on at all is probably still out there and still putting others at risk, maybe a real friend ensured he got his just deserts, I rather hope so.
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

jbfrmca wrote:i tell anyone and everyone i know to dress for the crash not the ride.
thanks for posting this wake up call.
Good advice that I confess I don't always follow. After seeing these injuries, I'm having second thoughts.
Even a slow speed get-off has a helluva impact on you physically.
TANSTAAFL
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

neale wrote:What gets me though is that the "friend" who was showing off at 120 MPH with a girl on the back who had no real protection on at all is probably still out there and still putting others at risk, maybe a real friend ensured he got his just deserts, I rather hope so.
Possibly, but I prefer to think (hope) he has learned a lesson, although it was at the expense of someone else. Many times dangers are not recognized until too late. How many of us have broken bones, suffered cuts, bruises, scrapes, pinched fingers, hammered fingers, etc, and only realized afterwards that it was a dumb thing to do. I have, multiple times.

I try to plan ahead more these days, especially after a few years ago, I spent about 15 minutes running up and down stairs to my mezzanine level with 5 gallon buckets of water, saying oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, over and over again, putting out a fire. Had images going thru my mind of losing everything I had inside my shop. I do NOT want to go thru that again, garonteeee.
TANSTAAFL
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Every scar on my body tells a story and I remember them all quite clearly !

Pain may not be the best teacher but you by god learn the lesson !
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

The thing that got me about the story is that she refused to hold on to the guy even after she realised she was in trouble. I was in the exact same situation when...

i was 17 on the back of a KZ1000. The guy tried to get me to hold on, but I wouldn't do it. He wanted to pass a row of 15 cars on the back roads of Arkansas, so he goosed the throttle a few times until I was more interested in life than appearance. By the time we got to our destination...we were legally married according to Ark. law.

The girl came off because she didn't hold on. There is no ATGATTfor that.

Post Scrypt - There's a group here in the states that are known as TNT. They are an underground car club that initiates members by stealing a car and running a motorcyclist off the road. The incident is filmed and posted on the web somewhere. They've started hitting riders in Texas, but they are nationwide. They've even hit patches down here. Be aware!!!
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

rudog wrote:
Post Scrypt - There's a group here in the states that are known as TNT. They are an underground car club that initiates members by stealing a car and running a motorcyclist off the road. The incident is filmed and posted on the web somewhere. They've started hitting riders in Texas, but they are nationwide. They've even hit patches down here. Be aware!!!
if they are running down patch holders, they should be easily recognized from the bullet holes.
TANSTAAFL
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

Most patches can't carry since they get harassed alot. Any patch pulled over, legaly or not, will have his gun impounded, CC permit or not.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

The cowards wont go for a group , just individual riders unlucky enuff to be in the wrong place at the wrong time ! Stolen car and no other witnesses makes it very difficult to track these thugs down ! A good reason for a helmet cam ?

And if you have been suprize attacked in that manner you aint got time to think of a gun 'cause yer to busy trying to control yer bike and evade being made a road pizza
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

To get back on 2 Wheels after that shows just how tough both Mentally & Physically She is...Good on Her.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain

Return to “The Bull Pen”