Rocket Science and Chopper Building

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Re: Rocket Science and Chopper Building

Post by gearhead1951 »

You can educate the ignorant , but there just aint no non lethal cure for stupid !!
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

rudog - Does that mean let a pro do it ... ; )
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

How many fingers are you missing?
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

I'm good...... unless you count those they cut of when I was born , so as I would be like other chillum... ; )
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

You've always got to look out for the other guy too...;)
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

rudog wrote: When we got back in the van to return home, he sighed turned to me and said, "never take safety advice from a man missing fingers." I asked, "Wasn't the advice good?" My father replied, "Yes, but he lost a finger and created a rule. The point is that he never got it in the 1st place. He has no sence of self preservation. The next time he loses a finger he will create a rule. He is limited to 10 rules."
Wise words.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
oldboy
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Been building, fettling and racing motorcycle's since 1969 - now mucking about with a Japanese custom a 1987 EN450 Kwaker - plan is to re-model and style it into a bobber/chopper type thing.... I also have a 1986 Suzuki GSX750 planning to play with this one over the winter this will be an AMA superbike replice/streetfighter type thing

Post by oldboy »

My ethos is "if it looks right, it is right!" if you look at enough machinery, after a while it becomes apparent, chops, sport/race bikes, cruisers, you can usually make a decision based on sight. The numbers usually back you up..... build it first (once you have looked long and hard) then run the numbers.

workshop rules.
1/ cut towards your mate
2/ assume its spinning.
3/ assume its hot
4/ measure 3 times, cut once, cut big.
5/ DO NOT put your finger in there.
6/ chill out, look hard, think long.

Return to “The Bull Pen”