Chopping a garage

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Chopping a garage

Post by budoka »

well, i figured i'd give my excuse as to why i've been AWOL for a bit. aside from waiting and stressing over my heads, i've been keeping busy building my garage.

i bought 3 20' shipping containers, and have been busy welding them together, cutting out the internal walls, and framing the openings as you would a garage door opening. i'm almost halfway finished, and don't know for sure when i'll get done since i only have one day a week off, but i'm making slow but steady progress.

now i'll shut up and post some pics.

take care,
-dan
Attachments
side by side
side by side
IMG_1680.jpg (62.53 KiB) Viewed 3737 times
grinding the opening about 7 ft in the air lying on 2 2x6s
grinding the opening about 7 ft in the air lying on 2 2x6s
IMG_1837.jpg (50.08 KiB) Viewed 3737 times
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
nerdsports
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Got my first motorcycle in 2010, the following year I cut the back half off and made my own hardtail. In the process, I also made a bunch of other bits or modified the factory stuff. Since then I learned to TIG weld for myself and built a 'cafe racer' leaving the engine cradle stock and part of the swingarm. I've been lurking to learn how to build a chopper frame and springer front end. I'll be building one soon I hope.

Re: Chopping a garage

Post by nerdsports »

This is pretty awesome! Looking forward to seeing pics of the interior finishings.
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Post by sleepyonthree »

Hey Dan

Oughta make for a sturdy work area. Keep the pics coming.
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

That's gonna make a nice Place to hang your Tools Man.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
Swamprabbit1
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm from Arkansas. Farm equipment mechanic. Love working on bikes with my 7yr old daughter. Single dad. Doing it all on my own. Good standing member over on the Honda rebel forum and TCU forum. My first chopper build was a Honda Rebel 250. Looking for a big brother to it. A Honda Rebel 450. I'm wanting to build a girder for the 250 and was told that this is the place to come for knowledge and help.

Post by Swamprabbit1 »

That's going to be one heck of a man cave. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Through the Gates of Hell for a Wounded Marine.
Devil Doc
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

thanks, guys! when we had our house built the designer and my wife tried to stick me with a little shed on the side of the house, but that just wasn't gonna do it. WW3 ensued and long story short, i'm getting my garage (even though i'm having to build it myself - actually i like it better that way anyway). now i'll have the shed to keep all the house crap, kids' bicycles, and camping stuff in, and the garage for the bikes and my tools, etc.

i 'm just a wee bit stubborn about certain things.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Post by 2Loose »

When I first bought my empty lot here on Maui, it was an overgrown half acre lot, but with power and water...
I did what you did, put a couple 24' shipping containers on it, after renting a D6 and clearing and grading it...
Then built a 20' x 40' shop with a bathroom, and we lived in it while I built the main house. Only took
me six years, while holding down a full time job. The shop went over to a full time bike and hot rod
shop when the house was finished, and over the years has filled up with all kinds of fun projects
and tools! It was well worth the effort.

Please post some pix when you get'r all done...
Willy
gasketscraper
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Long time Member, but been out of touch for a while. Been building and riding since my early teens. I work in Alaska for half the year, reside in Seattle the other half. Turn wrenches, weld and fabricate for a living in the Commercial Marine Industry. Have 3 bikes under construction and several riders. Harleys, Nortons and an Indian scout. Enjoy the talent of the individuals on this site!

Post by gasketscraper »

Looks like a good plan Dan. We use 20 and 40 Foot containers for Shops in Alaska. They work Great! Hey Willy (2loose) glad to see you here!! Dan has a beautiful Knucklehead, that would look good alongside your Blown Panhead!
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Nice work, Dan. Nice to see you start BIG.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I want one
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Post by Indian Mark »

You're sick. Does your wife know about this??
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Post by Indian Mark »

How do you get those things? There's gotta be a million empty ones in the USA.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

A lot of info on the 'net about recycling old cargo containers into homes , workshops , garages ect... ! There are whole communities in eastern Europe built this way !!
joechop
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: engineer working in construction industry and living outside of Pittsburgh PA. I recently completed my first build and hopefully more to come. officially started a side business for v-twin restomods... Vadori Designs.

Post by joechop »

haha. Nice job my friend! Mark - they're companies all over that sell them... some refurbished some not. I looked into this summer for work because we needed a few to store some construction material.

some in MI... http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/Co ... &zip=49507

joe

Return to “The Bull Pen”