Hello from Albuquerque

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
funfool
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Howdy, I use to ride bikes and fix them, build them, cut them up and put them together again.
I dunno life comes along, promotions and longer hours at work kids .... then one day I wake up, and I just have to build another bike and start riding again.
I am looking for a site just like this to gain knowledge, look at the builds ...loving the way the board index is laid out. I have 90% of the tools I need, mill lathe etc... just need to refresh.

Hello from Albuquerque

Post by funfool »

Looks like as good of place as any to say hello.
I do not own a motorcycle at this time. 53 years old and has been almost 20 years since I have rode a bike.
Have a silly health issue that has kept me from working for the last 2 years, and am going on social security disability.
As soon as they get tired of denying me. Am only saying that I do qualify and is at this stage that 90% of cases are won. My build will be slow until get some sort of financial support.
I can build a few hours, a few days a week.

In the last 2 years, because of my life changes, I have developed a thirst to ride that just wont go away.
I told my wife of 30 years, that was going to get another bike, she laughed and said GTFO!
A few weeks ago, I pulled out my leathers that have been hanging in the closet all this time .... she looked at me and said, You're serious? Yup ... she thought for a moment with a inquisitive look on her face ,,, I want a sidecar is all she said.
She was remembering our 1969 triumph hard tail :lol:

So I want to do a build, it will be slow because of finances, really don't even want to start a thread yet, because of that..
But there are a few things that I can build while waiting on the donor. And I have no machinist skills :whistle:
But I am house sitting for a friend and have all these tools at my disposal, I am a remodel carpenter by trade.
What that means, I get bored easily doing just one thing. For years all I did was fine mill work and stairs, high end kitchens, fireplaces, offices and dens, worked on mansions .... but with remodel, I get to get dirty and work on everything. I can tear your house down and leave one board standing and rebuild it.
Of course I can build a motorcycle no?

So first project is mirrors, something simple and gets me familiar with the tools.
My goal is to use 2 pieces of 1/8th" T6061. A back and a front frame, carve out a little from each piece so the glass will sit flush, use some hex head screws to fasten the frame to the back, mill and mount a block to the back and 3/8th" rod to mount to a milled clamp on the bars ... simple.

cough, first attempt A simple problem of not properly securing my work. I now know the little mill has a little power, and learned a bit.
Here I got them trued up and ready to move on to the next step.

Is it wrong of me, I look at this old rusty piece of sheet metal and say, this is my new headlight and tail light?

I have a 50" plasma tv out in the shop, the value is not a whole bunch on them, am offering it and a media pc for trade for a project motorcycle for my donor. I really need it out of the way and might get me back on a couple wheels sooner then later.
The black tool box is just filled with tools for the little mill and lathe. Fly cutters, r8 collets, 2 and 4 faced mill bits, boring bits, centering indicators, thread cutters for the tools and the lathe ... all kinds of goodies.
My wife is still ranting and raving, leave my tv alone :angry-cussingblack:

But anyway, HELLO from Albuquerque, I love all your tech threads, I hope as I learn I can offer some payback in some small way.
And most of all, life is to short to not have fun :dance: ,
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Re: Hello from Albuquerque

Post by Indian Mark »

Hello from Michigan. Albuquerque is great. A bit hard to breathe until you get used to the altitude.
If you look at a rusted piece of metal and see a set of mirrors you're in the right place! Developing skill set takes time, so do what you can when you can. Great guys here (and of course Maz) on this forum. Hasn't had the activity like it did a few years back, but still great folks. So, welcome.
funfool
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Howdy, I use to ride bikes and fix them, build them, cut them up and put them together again.
I dunno life comes along, promotions and longer hours at work kids .... then one day I wake up, and I just have to build another bike and start riding again.
I am looking for a site just like this to gain knowledge, look at the builds ...loving the way the board index is laid out. I have 90% of the tools I need, mill lathe etc... just need to refresh.

Post by funfool »

I want to thank you for the welcome.
I know this forum is not as active as others, but quality replaces quanity anyday.
I just hope I can add to the forums as a valid contributor. I have a thread coming up.
I have to agree that the skill set needed must be learned, I know my current skill sets help,
But now realize how they do not help and what will be needed.
Is called hard work. ;)

I have been holding off on really pushing the tv for a bit.
I need to get the media pc finished that want to go as a package.
Did get a call the other day from a dude with a 1980 sporty that wanted to trade if I was to throw in some cash.
I turned it down as had no cash, but told my wife and she is more comfortable about getting rid of the tv now.
I need it out of the shop. :lol:
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

one of the most inspiring bits of knowledge i've ever encountered was from Gary, the progenitor of this forum and the CBH site. he said, and i paraphrase, "with any project, work on it even just 10 minutes a day, but work on it regularly and it will keep it moving forward, and alive, and it WILL get done." and of course, he was right.

nothing wrong with looking at rusty metal and seeing what it will be. i do it all the time.

welcome to the forum. you're right, it's slow in here since the biker build-off boom is finished, but we've got some real good people here with worlds of knowledge, who are ready to help out.

keep posting up your progress, we'll enjoy seeing it!

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Hello from Ojo Caliente, NM
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.

Return to “The Bull Pen”