Run to Raton 2018

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Run to Raton 2018

Post by Dusty-Dave »

A few pictures, other than the flat tire and losing my tent somewhere it was an excellent event!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tdqgZVv4uRguq3su6
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: Run to Raton 2018

Post by curt »

nice rides
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

After I got home I found out that El Indio took best bike! One of my friends impersonated me so I didn't have to go back to get the trophy.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

so which one was El Indio? Looks like a heck of a fun event. i'm more than a little jealous.

and there was even a Yamaha Tri-Z 250! i've wanted one of those since they were new!

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

My 1940 Indian Scout. I think I used it in the title picture and for sure I showed the flat that wasted half of the first day and caused my 167 mile trip to be over 200.
Dusty
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

👍
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

amazing, but when i was looking through the photos, i didn't even notice the tire was flat, LOL.

gorgeous ride. hopefully i'll get my 40 (knuck, not scout) running today or tomorrow. love the Indians.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Dan,
Is there a thread on you 40 Knuck? If so point me the right way if not post some pictures.
Dusty
budoka
Site Admin

Post by budoka »

oh yeah, about seven pages in the ongoing drama, LOL. if you're bored sometime,

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=6&start=90

around page 4 or 5 there's a video of it running (just before the pinion shaft snapped).

take care,
-dan
Attachments
IMG_0639 copy.jpg
IMG_0639 copy.jpg (148.85 KiB) Viewed 6611 times
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Ok I member now! Attention span is kinda short anymore. Neet bike. Did ya gets it started. Aslong as there wasn't a huge audience El Indio started first kick hot and bout 4 cold the whole ride. But the one time a group gathered to watch me start it I finally had to go have a beer, after they gave up on the show 4 kicks did the trick. I met up wit pablo there and watched him kick on the Knuck all weekend. It usually starts right up.
Dusty
budoka
Site Admin

Post by budoka »

nope, today wasn't a happy day unfortunately. after cleaning the points again and checking the timing again, i decided that maybe it wanted a bit more advance (at least it seemed to want to start more last time in the fully advanced position, so i figured maybe it wanted a little more). i advanced to mag one tooth and tried it out and it flat refused to fire off. kicked it for about an hour (off and on with breaks to catch my wind) and got nothing for my troubles but a couple of weak putt putt putts. literally only even acted like it wanted to catch twice.

so i concluded that maybe it really wants the timing retarded more, so next i'm going to try to retard the timing 2 teeth from where it is now and see if that gives me any love.

meanwhile i'm still trying to save up enough money to go back to a standard points ignition or electronic style distributor.

Pablo's Knucklehead is a beauty. extended OEM style springers always look just right.

-dan
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

When a mag won't start, I immediately change the condenser and read the plugs with an ohm meter to be sure they didn't slip me resistor plugs. The Autolite 44 that I've used in Indians for years became resistor 4 or 5 years ago the packaging finally noted this last year. Its getting harder and harder to find plugs for a mag ignition.
Dusty
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

A lot of cool rides there, congrats on the trophy, well deserved.
Haven't been to Raton since the early 70s.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Here is the link to 2019 https://photos.app.goo.gl/om8cLkbe7fosRLgX9
They cancelled 2020
I never got my act together to make an album for 2021 the case of Quarts of home made brandy I took might have had something to do with my disorganization.
I'll be there this July 21-23 this year.
Dusty
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Return to “The Bull Pen”