So...What do I do??

The general bullshit and chatty section where we post general gossip.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

So...What do I do??

Post by Indian Mark »

I started this thing a really long time ago, like really long. Haven't touched it close to a decade except to steal the shifter for my 47 GMC. I lost momentum more than a long time ago and know I'll never finish it. (And I'd really like to get Hose-Dragger his plastic motor back.) It's become a mental burden and has been in the way in my limited size shop. I know it's not worth anywhere near what I have into it in blood and treasure. Besides fat rear tire bikes aren't exactly the style these days. I've got things like a new open primary and 45mm Mikuni carb still in the boxes. (Are open primaries still a thing?) Has brand new Wilwood brakes etc. I've gotten back into hot rods and that seems to be where my brain is heading these days.

I know you guys and gal are probably going to encourage me to finish it. Probably not going to happen. (A buddy of mine has a GTO sitting in his warehouse and I really want to bring it home..also probably not going to happen. LOL)

So...What do I do??

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=90
Attachments
00952x.jpg
00952x.jpg (173.61 KiB) Viewed 4317 times
00858x.jpg
00858x.jpg (179.38 KiB) Viewed 4317 times
Fossil
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just an old Dude exploring the world while I still have time. Used to be a member here but forgot my login information so trying to re-register. Working on the placer deposits in Nevada so no roads here to ride anything on unless it;s a dirt bike and even that can be pretty hairy. Nice to see that the place is still active. The old CBH is due to go offline in November. Have to computer anymore and cell signals out here are few and far between so it's hard to maintain any type of regular contact with anybody but glad to see a lot of familiar names.

Re: So...What do I do??

Post by Fossil »

I know how you feel. I've had both car and bike projects that became chores instead of fun. In todays scene due to tight money it's hard to sell a roller so you might try parting it out. If that fails it's best to disassemble it and store the individual parts until the trends and fads change again. It takes up less space broken down.
You'll take a hit on your investment for sure. When I sold off the shop, projects and tools in Texas I got about twenty-five cents on the dollar but I couldn't afford to move it all. The secret is in the timing as everything is cyclic and there will be another big bike boom but who knows when.
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.

Post by Indian Mark »

Great advice, I've been thinking along those same lines. Thanks. I've also been kicking around the idea of trading it for a car project or....
Jim Sawyer
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 25,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it

Post by Jim Sawyer »

I can relate, I been helping a buddy and his dad restore a '32 Ford hot rod that they have had for more than 60 years. we started the project 14 years ago. when we started, we were gung Ho, but other things happened and life got in the way, and he has lost interest.
I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 71,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it
Jim Sawyer
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 25,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it

Post by Jim Sawyer »

That springer looks like it was built using Gary's Plans?
I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 71,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

sorry to see you let it go but i completely understand . my life has gotten in the way so much lately if it wasnt for the sunshine i wouldnt know which way is up
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

Jim, Yep it's a Gary springer. I'm a machinist and build about a dozen of 'em about a decade ago. Got rid of all my springer stash a while ago. Pretty sure I even got rid of all the fixtures I made up for doing them.

Funny about projects. I'd love a 32 Ford someday. Unfortunately they'll probably always be outside my reach.

Curt, Know exactly what you mean. Trying to clean up my shop and reduce the amount of stuff I have here. Hoping it'll improve my state of mind. Actually does seem to be helping.
Attachments
springer.jpg
springer.jpg (110.94 KiB) Viewed 4292 times
Jim Sawyer
Lurker

Post by Jim Sawyer »

I notice on the bike you have that the spring perch is mounted lower than it is in the the last picture. Is it done that way for a reason, like to make the forks appear shorter, or to mount the headlight a little lower, or just to be different?
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

Yep, because we cut the front legs to short. Doh, It was the first one I built. Was ganna make myself another one. Never got around to it.
Jim Sawyer
Lurker

Post by Jim Sawyer »

I see,
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

I gotta admit, I do think that pic of the springer sitting on my surface plate is pretty cool. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

yes it is
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Jim Sawyer
Lurker

Post by Jim Sawyer »

Yes, for sure
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

way late in seeing this, but you know what i'm gonna say anyway.

if i could actually license it over here, i'd make you an offer on it just because of the connection and the history i know of the project. unfortunately it would be VERY difficult for me to get it on the road over here (like, i"d have to jump through all the hoops to become a motorcycle manufacturer).

sad to see you reaching this point with it, but if it ain't fun anymore, it just ain't worth it.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass

Post by Indian Mark »

Thanks Dan! I just finalized the deal to sell it to one of my best buddies. He's actually my Harley mechanic. Looking forward to seeing what he does with it. I sold it for about what I had in the new primary drive. Doh! It's been sitting in front of my EDM machine for years, so I'll have some much needed free space now. Planning on using the cash to put a 77R4 transmission in my 81 squarebody. I can give Hosedragger his plastic mock up motor back as well. Going to email him now. Haven't talked to him in years. I have however talked with Blaksmith (AKA Ken), he's doing quite well.

Return to “The Bull Pen”