questions about old posts

Use this area as you will.
Builder52
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I worked on, bikes since I was 14, I progressed to cars when I hit the age of 16, now at 52 I find bikes more rewarding to build and with less space now to store my toys ( 3rd house, also the smallest garage) I use parts from anything that I can find to fit, my builds and am rapidly becoming a decent tig welder. Still I dont know everything and find it expensive to build from a catalog. so that is why I am here for the second time. I can only imagine what happened to my old post since I cant find them and very few of the old crew that used to be on here. maybe we can all come back on and share all that knowledge we acquired over the years of building? xp

questions about old posts

Post by Builder52 »

When I first came on I had a different name, but I did receive a lot of relevant info on my research and builds thanks to all. I did not see any of the previous members and am wondering if they know or if they will ever come back to this site? I see Maz is here and few others I have great respect for because of their contributions and over all great attitude to newbies on this board. What are the chances of the old posts making it back to the new data base ?
BIGJIM
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am not a bum. I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.

Re: questions about old posts

Post by BIGJIM »

I believe they were lost for good with the old server. :roll:
Builder52
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I worked on, bikes since I was 14, I progressed to cars when I hit the age of 16, now at 52 I find bikes more rewarding to build and with less space now to store my toys ( 3rd house, also the smallest garage) I use parts from anything that I can find to fit, my builds and am rapidly becoming a decent tig welder. Still I dont know everything and find it expensive to build from a catalog. so that is why I am here for the second time. I can only imagine what happened to my old post since I cant find them and very few of the old crew that used to be on here. maybe we can all come back on and share all that knowledge we acquired over the years of building? xp

Post by Builder52 »

Hmm I guess no one uses Raid's anymore on their server or daily back ups or offline backups. A great loos I remember some seriously good sh_t on there.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Builder52 wrote:Hmm I guess no one uses Raid's anymore on their server or daily back ups or offline backups. A great loos I remember some seriously good sh_t on there.
Hmmm, maybe you should read this update on the main index...
Just saying...

http://chopperhandbook.com/
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

man, if you only knew what has happened to keep this forum up *at all*, you would be surprised. it's not a problem of backups, hell, anyone with half an inkling what they're doing could do a backup. try converting three different software packages, merging all the associated users, conflicting email addresses, lost data, and trying to get it all working...

the fragmented databases alone were killing any server we moved it to. at some point, you just have to answer the question, are YOU going to spend the next 3 months of your life trying to fight a battle you're never going to be able to win?

when i get time, i intend to do my best to get the old data up in "read only" format (which i've stated multiple times), but it's gonna have to happen when i can. you've gotta remember that i don't get paid to do this. i work 6 days a week, am raising 2 kids mostly by myself in a foreign country, and trying to get my own damn scooter going again sometime this year.

meanwhile, we have an amazingly talented membership here. you having any problem in particular? ask. i think you'll find our members up to the task.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Big-Steve
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a retired construction electrician, 65 years old been playing with bikes off and on for over 45 years now live in Sedro Woolley Washington was one of first members of the old board after following Gary from chopper web. Now ride a Yamaha Road Star and have four other project bikes waiting have two total knee replacements and L&I has decided to retrain me so am back in college learning Auto Cad, Solidworks, and Catia so when I grow up I can re-enter the job market

Post by Big-Steve »

Dan,
I for one, having been on this site since the old one started, am very thankful for the work that you
and the other admins. have put in keeping this site up and running. And to Gary for starting it.
Please keep up the great work. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Thanks,
Big Steve
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

I did not realize there was so much involved my hats off to ya for all your hard work.
I knew it must be considerable effort, cause it didn't happen overnight, but had no idea there was this much involved,
on top of everything else you do.

This site is the only one I consistently go to on an everyday basis. I don't post everyday, but I'm following all the threads.
I've seen other sites with quality builds going on, but typically there are some trolls or flamers that try to ruin things.
I just don't see that happening here, or at least it's rare. Even then it's usually someone who is new, or usually lurk.
All the regulars typically post thoughtful observations or compliments. Well, except for me, I sometimes throw out a real dumb ass remark,
but never with ill intent, my fingers just get tangled up on the keys. Or I start typing before I put the noggin into drive. Easy to do sometimes.

My life wouldn't stop if this site were not available, but there would certainly be a very large void for quite awhile.

Thanks Dan, for what you do, so well.
TANSTAAFL
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Hmmm, maybe you should read this update on the main index...
Just saying...
Hadn't realised that, just thought the server went down..'a diliberate hack' assholes....

just to add what railway bob say's +1....
Builder52
NewB

Post by Builder52 »

deliberate hack usually is done with Malice. I have never heard of so much data being lost in such a manner, being a lurk, flamer or troll as previously complimented on I would have to wonder if all the protocol to the site was not maybe saved by the Hack or is it was just a matter of getting rid of a popular site. I feel some people had their backs up and unfortunately I cant control reactions,probably from frustration. simple questions usually only require a simple answer. thanks for the input tho I think the previous post have alot to say and some of it could be just kept quiet.

PS. I will continue to be a troll,lurk or flamer on this site XP
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Builder52 wrote:deliberate hack usually is done with Malice. I have never heard of so much data being lost in such a manner, being a lurk, flamer or troll as previously complimented on I would have to wonder if all the protocol to the site was not maybe saved by the Hack or is it was just a matter of getting rid of a popular site. I feel some people had their backs up and unfortunately I cant control reactions,probably from frustration. simple questions usually only require a simple answer. thanks for the input tho I think the previous post have alot to say and some of it could be just kept quiet.

PS. I will continue to be a troll,lurk or flamer on this site XP
Whatever dude, positive thoughtful input is preferred communication.

Don't matter if ya don't post, but if you bitch about the lack of posting,
and then also comment about the fact that you don't post, well, don't expect any sympathy.

If you complain about something without asking first what happened, don't expect any sympathy.

Personally, I think the responses were fairly restrained, considering the tone that came across in your initial post.
TANSTAAFL

Return to “Feedback, Bitches and Suggestions Box”