a Jig is just a Tool

Post info here on welding jigs and fixtures.
Choppit
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Long time UK based trike and bike nut. Have been building for fun, for around 20 years. Current projects are a VW beetle Trike (Beach Bastard) 1983 Iron Head, Z750 twin.

Registered on the old board as Byzmax

Re: a Jig is just a Tool

Post by Choppit »

Interesting points here and more info from everyone on their methods would be an interesting insight into different techniques.

I learnt and built for years without a frame jig. It actually taught me good practice (if you payed attention when welding) as it was extremely easy to get some serious distortion or stress in the frame.

Had to cut the whole front section off a trike that I was building a few years back as I got distracted whilst tacking a gusset on the neck and ended up welding half of it. Stood back to watch the neck and associated parts twist outta shape. :roll:
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it!
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

Well that just gets back to the crux of the situation and that is how well you are with welding stuff together. Even the best of us have had those 'moments' when we knew that we'd exceeded our limits. It's those 'oh-shit' moments that keep all of us in line. I've had a whole lot of those experiences both with and without a fixture but thats just part of the work we do. If everything worked out perfectly well each and every time then it'd all get pretty boring.
Choppit
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Long time UK based trike and bike nut. Have been building for fun, for around 20 years. Current projects are a VW beetle Trike (Beach Bastard) 1983 Iron Head, Z750 twin.

Registered on the old board as Byzmax

Post by Choppit »

Yep I'd agree with that Gary.

The learning process is the fun part although sometimes frustrating. Always trying to improve my technique in metal working and welding etc.

It helps that I love welding. TIg, Mig or Stick it just always relaxes me.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it!

Return to “Jig and Fixture Building”