My adjustable frame jig

Post info here on welding jigs and fixtures.
Nero
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm an informatic engineer who just happened to leave his (relatively well paid) job to follow his passion and going to work at minimum wage as a CAD designer and a welder in a CNC laser cutting & general sheet metal fabrication shop.
In the meanwhile, I try to build a killer bike with whatever I have at hand...

My adjustable frame jig

Post by Nero »

Don't remermber if I had already posted these on the old board, so I'll post them again anyway...

The jig, Crime Scene Choppers style, plus some "racing" stickers, ohh yeeahh! :mrgreen:
Jig.JPG
Jig.JPG (246.36 KiB) Viewed 8117 times

Axle plates holder:
Axle  Plates Holder.JPG
Axle Plates Holder.JPG (252.32 KiB) Viewed 8117 times

Neck holder:
Neck Holder.JPG
Neck Holder.JPG (237.73 KiB) Viewed 8117 times

Rake protractor detail:
Rake Protractor.JPG
Rake Protractor.JPG (189.05 KiB) Viewed 8117 times
Cone detail:
Lower Cone.JPG
Lower Cone.JPG (193.1 KiB) Viewed 8117 times
Lower rails sled:
Rails Sled.JPG
Rails Sled.JPG (242.53 KiB) Viewed 8117 times
What I'm currently working at (and some free Italian's lessons also :D ) : http://costafabbricustomchoppers.blogspot.com/
Nero
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm an informatic engineer who just happened to leave his (relatively well paid) job to follow his passion and going to work at minimum wage as a CAD designer and a welder in a CNC laser cutting & general sheet metal fabrication shop.

Re: My adjustable frame jig

Post by Nero »

And the levelling system:
Levelling.JPG
Levelling.JPG (194.29 KiB) Viewed 8116 times
What I'm currently working at (and some free Italian's lessons also :D ) : http://costafabbricustomchoppers.blogspot.com/
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo now that is pretty :clap: and very well made too :bow-blue:

I hope you have a lot of fun building frames with it :banana-dance: .......but don't get it too dirty :doh:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

Dan.in.Can
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Dan, i'm 28 years old and i live in Ontario Canada. i grew up in an old school house that my dad fixed up out in the country, just outside a very small town called Hillsdale. i spent most of my childhood working at the farm up the road, so i guess you could say im a country boy. school and me never quite saw eye to eye, not that i wasn't smart enough, but i had a big issue with authority, so i ended up dropping out of highschool to start working in construction. spent about 6 years as a general contractor, but most of the work was in Toronto and i got tired of commuting. now i'm a heavy equipment operator, i spend my summers diggin holes, and my winters plowing snow. i do everything from floating equipment and driving truck, to digging basements and installing septics. I also do quite a bit of maintinence and repairs on our trucks and equipment. thats where i learned to weld (mig & stick) as well as basic mechanical and fabrication skills. i've been with this company for 6 years now. i've been married 7 years now, and we have 2 boys 10 and 12 yrs old. i spend as much of my spare time out on the bike as possible. im riding a F model VTX1800, i try to get away on at least one long trip every year. last couple years me and the guys have rode to north carolina, i love those mountain roads. I've allways dreamed of building a bike, but never thought it was actually a possibility untill i found the CBH website. i read through the OSC build and it completely blew me away, i then read through every article on the site and now i'm a huge fan. everything from the attitude and idea, to the work thats done is fantastic. i'm starting my first bike build real soon, ive got my bender die ordered from jd2 and i've started building the CBH bender. even just skimming through this message board provides more usefull tech knowlege about choppers than the entire web. now im chasing a dream, thanks CBH.

Post by Dan.in.Can »

that is one sweet looking jig. :drool:
damn it. i never thought a fancy frame jig was important. suddenly i don't think i can live without one LOL
if you have two or three wheels and a smile on your face then its all good
Nero
Tourist

Post by Nero »

Oh it is indeed important, in that it takes away a lot of floor space.. :mrgreen:
However the legs and the rails are bolted togheter, so that I can dismantle and put it out of the way ;)
Unfortunately my bender didn't came out as nicely.. :sad: I'll post some pictures soon... :whistle:
Neo Dutch
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Intereseted in all thing motorcycling, particularly modifications folk do to their bikes. Admire quality design and workmanship. Not so keen on bolt-on parts, but they have their place in the world. Not everyone can be a master machinist, welder or spray painter, but that won't stop me from trying. Great admirer of master engravers and have been working hard for several years to improve my skills in this most difficult of crafts. Also enjoy pin striping, and am fairly good at it.
Favourite food is Spam. Here's some good recipes www.pinheadlounge.com/neodutch . Kill Flanders.

Post by Neo Dutch »

Shouldn't the axle plate locating pins be removable so you can get the frame off the jig after it's welded?
The tell tale tickle of ashphalt on the sagging underbelly of my lowered expectations.
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

Neo Dutch wrote:Shouldn't the axle plate locating pins be removable so you can get the frame off the jig after it's welded?

He might have tapped the ends......but unless he has multible rear axle fixtures, all the frames will have the same width tire...I see multi holes on the frame rail fixture ! Just trying to give the newb's something to think about....
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Post by krymis »

on top of that depending on what type of axle setup he uses I.E.: open rear axle slot on the plate
Nero
Tourist

Post by Nero »

The truth is that this is an extremely peculiar, almost unique, disposable dumbass axle plates holder; you can quite easily fabricate one of these if you just start welding random pieces after a good bottle of Brunello di Montalcino.. :roll:
I posted the picture anyway, because I've not rebuild it yet... :mrgreen: I'll build my first frame and then cut it away...
Very economic, I know... :whistle:
riceburner
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am a motorcycle repairman, artist, fabricator, machinist, welder, bender, fitter, eater, lover, fighter, I live in eastern denial. A man sought to see the Dali Lama he climbed the mountain to find he must spend 5 years in contemplation before he can see the Dali Lama, after 5 years past the man was taken to see the Dali Lama he asked him "what is the meaning of life?" the Dali Lama looked at the man, smiled and said "well my son, life is like a bean stalk, isnt it?"

Post by riceburner »

that is one of the things about fixtures is they have parts that add on and off, nothing is in stone. fixture looks good.

Return to “Jig and Fixture Building”