Universal frame jig

Post info here on welding jigs and fixtures.
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Universal frame jig

Post by Maz »

I did quite a detailed build report on my frame jig on the old forum and I have made a few modifications as a result of lessons learned fabricating a number of frames on it...if you guys are interested I'll re-post the build here along with the updates and then maybe post some plans in the downloads section..... :think: let me know if you're interested......... :shifty:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Re: Universal frame jig

Post by budoka »

now, how can you even ask a question like that? of COURSE we're interested! do it, do it. :banana-dance:

( i just love the dancing banana )

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

Well now how can I refuse such a request from the Lord of the Forum :dance: :banana-dance:

And yeah, that dancing banana is well cool :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Maz xx

curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

always intrested in new ideas
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Maz, i will be going by your frame jig build when i get started building my proper jig. All your ideas will be very helpful, planning on getting the materials for it through the winter more or less. :clap: :dance:
Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

Ok so here's the story of my universal frame jig. It was designed from the outset to fit onto my bike table. A couple of reasons for this, firstly this would allow me to raise or lower the whole thing for ease of measuring and welding etc and secondly the table gives it more stability and rigidity, both of which are pretty essential in a frame jig.

Unlike most of the frame jig plans available on-line, mine is intended to be used for metrics and HDs alike. Therefore it had to be completely universal.....

I used 50mm x 50mm x 3mm steel box section as it fits onto the table, but if you are planning to copy it and use it free standing then use at least 50mm x 75mm for the main rails or they might bend under the weight - especially when you put the motor in :doh:
Frame Jig 005.jpg
Frame Jig 005.jpg (176.4 KiB) Viewed 12272 times
The location cones and neck pivot boss were machined from solid steel bar stock
Frame Jig 001.jpg
Frame Jig 001.jpg (110.7 KiB) Viewed 12272 times
Frame Jig 004.jpg
Frame Jig 004.jpg (148.88 KiB) Viewed 12272 times
I originally used 16mm threaded rod for the stem but it flexed under welding so I later changed it to 25mm (1 inch)

To make the jig universal I designed a moving "saddle" which can take an original frame so I can measure up all the mounts to make up a motor mount jig....
Frame Jig 007.jpg
Frame Jig 007.jpg (158.12 KiB) Viewed 12272 times
This pic shows the basic jig layout before any welding...

More later guys :banana-dance:

Maz xx

curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

i found my 3/4 inch rod for the neck was flexing too im also stepping up to a 1 inch rod
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

Sometimes what you think will be strong enough takes all the force just fine until you start welding and then as the weld cools it just pulls that little bit extra......there's no substitute for using a larger rod..... :think: I just know I'm gonna regret saying that :doh:

Maz xx

curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

lol a large rod isnt everything its how u use it
Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

curt wrote:lol a large rod isnt everything its how u use it
oh so very true........ :oops:

Maz xx

Return to “Jig and Fixture Building”