softail swingarm jig build

Post info here on welding jigs and fixtures.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

softail swingarm jig build

Post by curt »

when i set up my frame jig i based it useing a factory softail frame and i made enough room so i could build the swingarm on it too but after building my first softail frame on it i found it limited me a little . i been thinking about it for a lil while now and decided to build a jig just for the swingarm . i still want to base it off a factory swingarm so i can be sure ill b able to fit them to factory frames if need be but hopefully it will be flexible enough to play with the design a bit . if nothing else it should be easier to spin arround and tack things up.
002.jpg
002.jpg (144.98 KiB) Viewed 9145 times
i picked up a swingarm on evilbay fairly cheap turns out was in good shape got some 2x3 and 1x2 rough cut to the size i think will work . i made the base 2 foot long and the legs 14 inches and the axl tube the same as my frame jig at 12 inches ended up late so no time to drill holes . i want to make everything bolt together so i can change fixtures easier as i go or change designs and still be able to go back if things dont work out
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Re: softail swingarm jig build

Post by krymis »

very nice curt. make sure you add in adjustability to the back stretch and the adjustability of the cross bar and axle areas. You will be able to build for nice straight tubes from neck to axle and tall and wide wheels.
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Post by krymis »

some motivation and ideas
krymis
Conventioneer

Post by krymis »

krymis
Conventioneer

Post by krymis »

krymis
Conventioneer

Post by krymis »

curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

krymis wrote:very nice curt. make sure you add in adjustability to the back stretch and the adjustability of the cross bar and axle areas. You will be able to build for nice straight tubes from neck to axle and tall and wide wheels.

you read my mind i want to make everything bolt in so i can take it out change it arround and be able to fit anything i can dream up ill probably make diffrent supports as i go so i can mark and keep the ones i really like and reuse em thanks for the pics always good to see other ideas on how to do things
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

001.jpg
001.jpg (154.82 KiB) Viewed 9120 times
002.jpg
002.jpg (157.56 KiB) Viewed 9120 times
003.jpg
003.jpg (137.59 KiB) Viewed 9120 times
got the axl tube all mounted with adjustable plates and spacers so i can go up and down and wider ran outa bolts for front tube had to use allthread no nuts either so had to stop there have to hit fastenal monday . going to pick up some thread couplings too for the 1x2 so i can level everything up . thats ok though still need a lil more thought on how i want to make the front tube attachments
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

still waiting for fastenal man they are slow to deliver when you need somethin
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

049.jpg
049.jpg (119 KiB) Viewed 9031 times
050.jpg
050.jpg (136.87 KiB) Viewed 9031 times
051.jpg
051.jpg (138.73 KiB) Viewed 9031 times
052.jpg
052.jpg (123.32 KiB) Viewed 9031 times
053.jpg
053.jpg (164.1 KiB) Viewed 9031 times
finally got the hardware from fastenal was able to level everything out plumb the uprights and spun up some spacers to make sure i get the pivot points in the right spot and welded some bits of angle iron to make sure the uprights go back in the same spot . now i gotta figure something for the brake mount and a way to indicate where the bends in the tube are so i know i wont have any issues with tire or belt rub .
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

been really swamped at work havent had much time to get to it lately but been a lil stuck im not sure how i want to lock in the tube placement and bends and the brake stay . especially the brake stay

Return to “Jig and Fixture Building”