My attempts at some jigs

Post info here on welding jigs and fixtures.
Earache
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Earache and I live in Indy.
I ride BMW's and Ducatis mostly, but have severall 1970's Jap in line fours that I want to chop into something useful. They were bikes of my youth, just not too cool to ride any more.
Hopefully, that can be fixed with a little choppin', weldin' and fabbin'.
Like to check in here and the otehr site to get odeas, tips and tricks.
Hope I can contribute something soon.

My attempts at some jigs

Post by Earache »

I'm new to chopping and making swinagrms, etc but not new to fabrication. So be gentle with me!

My first attempt at a swingarm jig...
Started with an old Bridgeport mill table and them built the uprights. The rear upright was pretty straight forward as I copied lots of what I saw here and on other parts of the 'net. The front part will have to be made in two styles; 1) for HD's and 2) for sport bikes as I hope to make swingarms for both.
Welded up a little stand outta 1'X1" to hold the mill table at waist height to make welding easier.
Earache
NewB
I ride BMW's and Ducatis mostly, but have severall 1970's Jap in line fours that I want to chop into something useful. They were bikes of my youth, just not too cool to ride any more.

Re: My attempts at some jigs

Post by Earache »

Started on a frame rack as well...

Don't have an immediate need for it yet, so that can wait a bit to finish up...

Again, pretty much copied what i saw on here and will make final adjustments to it to suit the build.
Earache
NewB

Post by Earache »

Hope to have some finished product to post up here soon.
Just like to say "thanks" to all on the Forum for the inspiration. I've been lurking here, soaking in all of the info that I could, over the past year or so and am finally ready to start hacking up some steel o n my own.
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Post by sleepyonthree »

Damn good start on it by the looks. Anticipation the pics as you slice and dice your toys. :text-welcomewave:
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Hi earache, very nice start good job man. It all takes time to figure it all out, good luck and welcome to the forum. :clap: :dance: :D
Earache
NewB

Post by Earache »

Thanks Sleepy and Jones.
It does indeed take time. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I want to do with some old Honda CB 550's that I have. Wanna make a bobber out of one and cafe racer out of the other. But time will tell what happens to them.

I recently moved my machine shop shop stuff out of my home and into the back of a HD shop. I'll be making parts for the shop as part of my rent. The guys there are fairly experienced at chopping, so I'll get a lot of info from them as well.

Very exciting times for me.
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Earache, check out my 1979 honda cb750 bobber build in the projects section. I am learning as i build and getting great help from the guys and gals on the forum to make sure i am doing it all right and safely. I am slowly moving forward and working on the hardtail frame for the bobber honda frame etc. :D :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Earache
NewB

Post by Earache »

Way ahead of ya; already checked it out. Looks good.
I might try to do a dirt tracker style to one of my CB's - although the inline four might look kinda weird as it's too wode for that style of bike. Better off as a bobber.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

nice lookin jigs there dont forget to make some leveling legs on em so ya can get everything your gonna build all square and level
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Nice lookn stuff dude.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

Hey dude, that's a really good start to your jig :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm looking forward to see what you get up to with it :banana-dance:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

Earache
NewB

Post by Earache »

Some updated pics.
Used an old KZ frame to aid in setting up the rack a bit. Almost done...

Return to “Jig and Fixture Building”