steering neck question???? 1st time posting.

Post info here on welding jigs and fixtures.
smnmuller907
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi my name's Simon. Journeyman Sheet metal worker /welder / fabricator. Lots of metal fabrication experience I'm hoping to carry over into Motorcycles. just starting my journey into chopper building.purchased a donor bike and am starting a build from the frame up. (ambitious i know). 80" evo, 280 rear, Ultima RSD transmission, Ultima 3.375 primary, DNA springer front end.

steering neck question???? 1st time posting.

Post by smnmuller907 »

Hey guys. First time frame builder and first time posting to the forum. So here we go. My steering shaft from the forks is 1", I'm trying to buy a new weld on neck tube (preferably a kit) seems easy to find the cup, bearings, races, etc. but not so easy to find the actual head stock. when i do there isn't allot of info of I.D.'s and O.D.'s etc of the headstock and what cups they accept. Can anybody recommend a good source for a weld on kit and maybe some info on what the head stock ID should be to except the cups, bearings and races for a 1" steering shaft? I have to say there is a lot of great info on this site and most my questions i just search and can find the answer.So thanks everybody for the ton of answers I've already found for other things and thanks in advance for all the help with this one!
Cheers,
Simon
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: steering neck question???? 1st time posting.

Post by curt »

the cheapest I found for them are bitter end old school choppers theyre 2 inch od so you can turn them down if you want or leave em fat the id on their neck is just the right size to press the bearing cups in for Harley 1 inch cups they sell the bearings too but you can probly score them local or e bay cheaper
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
smnmuller907
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi my name's Simon. Journeyman Sheet metal worker /welder / fabricator. Lots of metal fabrication experience I'm hoping to carry over into Motorcycles. just starting my journey into chopper building.purchased a donor bike and am starting a build from the frame up. (ambitious i know). 80" evo, 280 rear, Ultima RSD transmission, Ultima 3.375 primary, DNA springer front end.

Post by smnmuller907 »

Hey thanks Curt! I actually called bitter end a couple times and left a message the other day. That's exactly what I needed to know. Much appreciated brother!
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

your very welcome
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better

Return to “Jig and Fixture Building”