curts softail build

This section is for all posts concerning frame design and construction.
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Re: curts softail build

Post by yona »

I make both at the same time ...mark a straight line and lay out the radius centers....tack both plates togather and use a holesaw or drillbit and cut the holes at same time...predrill for pilot holes.....then I make a full size template, align with the slot and punch my cut line about every 1/8th"....cut close and use a carbide cutter or grinding disc to fine tune....home made drum sanders are easy to make !!
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

its a horrible thing the date of the last post is on here so u realize how long u been neglecting your project. but i have made a little progress i got the axl plates back from the machine shop yesterday and put em in the jig today bent a couple tubes but didnt like the way they looked . i finally got one thats close tomorro ill see if i can get the fit better and get some pics hopefully i can get that and the other side done and get the whole thing outa the jig
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
concrete guy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just an Iowa country boy that has been pouring concrete for over 30 years. I have been around for awhile. I have watched 3 forums come and go. I built my first chop with the help of the great guys on this forum. I plan on building a few more. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I don't have the 200 word in me this morning! 8)

Post by concrete guy »

Shit! Don't worry about no stinkin' post dates. If I would have done that with mine I would have been in a state of depression for 4 years. It's all part of the journey. Enjoy it!
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

oh i am just hate when life gets in the way of things and ya cant get back to the fun stuff fast enough
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

034.jpg
034.jpg (133.08 KiB) Viewed 6313 times
035.jpg
035.jpg (164.24 KiB) Viewed 6313 times

this is the swing arm design im going with the plates arent finished yet still unsure of the design but thinkin somethin close to the lines on em the tube on the right is fitting alot better but still needs work the one on the left still needs a lot of work to make it match and fit nice im just going to tack everything together and pull the swingarm and try it on the rim im so far off the plans i just want to make sure everything is good before i weld it up and waste the axl plates . the hubs are wider than i thought they would be and im going with an 18 inch rim so want to be sure nothing rubs it should be real tight between the frame and tire i hate all that sppace makeing it look like your tire is too small . hopefully more progress tomorrow
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

got the swingarm finished learned a lot about what i wont do next time but broke the lathe so i cant make a spacer for the wheel orderd the part for the lathe hopefully it shows up this week
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Nice pics Curt. You must have your hands full doing 2 frame and springer / girder design / fab + a job...
:bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue:
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Looks good Curt...not to much longer & looks like it'll be a roller...I hear ya about lookin at when you last post...drives me nuts sometimes
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

ya def got my hands full thanks im hopeing to have it in a roller soon gotta pick up the tires so i can make the girder the right length
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

just getting caught up on reading everyone's builds. your build is looking good man. don't sweat having to make lots of changes, that's why there's a huge difference between builders and assemblers. also why Gary's plans are for builders and not assemblers. in the end you'll get it worked out right and be able to enjoy it for a long time to come.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

Real bikes don't just "happen"...they are nurtured, coaxed and sometimes dragged kicking and screaming into life..... this build is going in the right direction and will be a superb bike soon enough :clap:

keep at it dude, we're all right behind you :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

Yeah, If this stuff was easy then everybody would be doing it. Thankfully it does require some blood, sweat and tears which is why fabricating things is so darn rewarding. There is an old quote embedded somewhere in the Handbook about " they bend steel, forcing it into submission to create dreams" or something along those lines and it's absolutely true. Thats why what we do is an artform and a craft. This is why every person builds something a little differently. Our personalities go into our work and shine through the finished product. I've seen some pretty horribly built Choppers in my day but I've never seen one that wasn't a piece of somebodies art and for that reason alone they become beautiful.
I think you're doing an incredible job on all of your projects.
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

gww25 wrote:Yeah, If this stuff was easy then everybody would be doing it. Thankfully it does require some blood, sweat and tears which is why fabricating things is so darn rewarding. There is an old quote embedded somewhere in the Handbook about " they bend steel, forcing it into submission to create dreams" or something along those lines and it's absolutely true. Thats why what we do is an artform and a craft. This is why every person builds something a little differently. Our personalities go into our work and shine through the finished product. I've seen some pretty horribly built Choppers in my day but I've never seen one that wasn't a piece of somebodies art and for that reason alone they become beautiful.
I think you're doing an incredible job on all of your projects.

thanks coming from you it means alot your work has inspired me to create some works of art for myself and hopefully share what ive done and maybe inspire someone else in some way.i am so much more enjoying building from scratch than any partsbike ive ever built.
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

Like the man himself said, you're doing a great job with all your projects, so don't get impatient when its not going as fast as you would like, just take whatever time it needs to see it done right :clap:

And you are right, Gary has been (and continues to be) an inspiration to all of us :banana-dance: ....that's why we call him the Grandaddy :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

and you as well i read your stuff too if it werent for the people of this forum willing to share their way of doing things and ideas im thinkin we would all be a lil slower than we would like thanks to everyone

Return to “Frame Fabrication”