curts softail build

This section is for all posts concerning frame design and construction.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

curts softail build

Post by curt »

sneaky pete softail build 001.jpg
sneaky pete softail build 001.jpg (50.12 KiB) Viewed 9621 times
sneaky pete softail build 002.jpg
sneaky pete softail build 002.jpg (51.08 KiB) Viewed 9621 times
sneaky pete softail build 004.jpg
sneaky pete softail build 004.jpg (55.35 KiB) Viewed 9621 times
sneaky pete softail build 005.jpg
sneaky pete softail build 005.jpg (56.52 KiB) Viewed 9621 times
softail 1 001.jpg
softail 1 001.jpg (68.55 KiB) Viewed 9621 times
softail 1 003.jpg
softail 1 003.jpg (65.66 KiB) Viewed 9621 times
ive made some good progress with the softail build to while the bord was down i was haveing trouble with the seatpost and backbone when we left off but i figured out what the problem was it was me dam it lol. i mis measured the backbone and made the fishmouth wrong i made the backbone too short and cut the 17 degree angle on the bottom at a slight twist so i threw them both in the scrapper and started over sometimes its a bitch being anal about makeing shure everything is right but its worth it in the end .
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Re: curts softail build

Post by budoka »

good way to christen the new place. frame is looking awesome.

-dan
:text-goodpost:
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Hi curt, the frame is going to look awesome great work man. I can hardly wait to get my bender sorted out so i can get my hardtail built, then i can start having some real fun . :clap: :dance: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

springer 12 001.jpg
springer 12 001.jpg (61.9 KiB) Viewed 9616 times
springer 12 002.jpg
springer 12 002.jpg (63.88 KiB) Viewed 9616 times
thats where i left off on it and sorry when the bord went down i didnt take anymore pics because i wasnt shure when we would be able to get back on again but i got more to go so . ... i didnt want to make the stantions sence it was my first time makeing a softail i wanted them to be right so i ended up buying them from bitter end hella good guys over there also where i got the springs for the springer .i remade the backbone and wishbones and seatpost then clamped them in the jig then re made the lower rails too i didnt like the way the tubes looked going all the way to the backbone it seemed too close to the motor for my likeing so i went with a single downtube and made the bottom rails much easier with just the 40 degree bend then a 90 to the downtube got it in one shot for a change must be learning somethin from all those mistakes . i got the pivot stantions and made a simple fixture for the jig ill have to get some pics later for everyone and set them up everything droped in place thistime so i tacked everything up and pullled it outa the jig and welded it all up .it came out super nice it droped back in the jig so easy youda thought i welded it in the jig . i had a swingarm laying arround from a 250 tire bike someone gave me sometime ago so i cut it up and got the boomerangs out of it and the brake mount fitted the boomerangs in the jig with the frame then measured and cut some 1 and 1/2 tube for the top and bottom welded them together . went down to my friends shop hes got a cnc plasma cutter and put in the axl plate dxf files from garys plans but it cut them out with 1 inch axls and i want 3/4 so im going to have to make some new ones by hand i dont know how to tweak the program to cut the right size axl holes if anyone has them id really appreciate it if ya could share and thats as far as i got for now more coming soon
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

budoka wrote:good way to christen the new place. frame is looking awesome.

-dan
:text-goodpost:
thanks dan and the new bord is goin great so far thanks
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

jonester123 wrote:Hi curt, the frame is going to look awesome great work man. I can hardly wait to get my bender sorted out so i can get my hardtail built, then i can start having some real fun . :clap: :dance: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
lookin foreward to it dude
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

ive also started a girder for the softail but just yesterday so no pics yet phone was almost dead ill start a new post for it tomorrow . so many projects so few hours in the day .
gebear
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am hoping to start my new build soon, been getting everything ready in place, 1st need to build jig but I will get there.... lol.. I am living in Swansea, Wales... 49 .. I have never built my own bike before so my first build might not be pretty but it will be mine and built by my own fair hands and no one elses...

Post by gebear »

Your build is looking good curt...... good luck
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

:text-goodpost: looking real good......HEY you're doing a girder????? YAY that should be interesting to see you build - gonna be real sweet if that spinger build of yours is anything to go by :dance:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

ya im shure ill have a few questions for ya once i get into it a lil more
concrete guy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just an Iowa country boy that has been pouring concrete for over 30 years. I have been around for awhile. I have watched 3 forums come and go. I built my first chop with the help of the great guys on this forum. I plan on building a few more. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I don't have the 200 word in me this morning! 8)

Post by concrete guy »

Looks great Curt. I had problems with the seat post in my build and ended up cutting it out and replacing it late in the game. It was hitting the top cover. I first went and dented it to receive the tranny. I didn't like it and it hit the trash. I ended up having to put a slight bend in my seat post.
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Post by sleepyonthree »

Takin shape and lookin good. Goin into the build season for you neck of the woods.
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

concrete guy wrote:Looks great Curt. I had problems with the seat post in my build and ended up cutting it out and replacing it late in the game. It was hitting the top cover. I first went and dented it to receive the tranny. I didn't like it and it hit the trash. I ended up having to put a slight bend in my seat post.
ya i hate doin it twice
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

sleepyonthree wrote:Takin shape and lookin good. Goin into the build season for you neck of the woods.
ya i already got people tryin to get work done the last month of winter is the worst
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

curt wrote:ya im shure ill have a few questions for ya once i get into it a lil more
ask away dude - always try to be helpful :dance:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

Return to “Frame Fabrication”