Engine Base & Down-Tube Fabrication

This section is for all posts concerning frame design and construction.
HybridBiker
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a bit of a tree-hugging biker who thinks 50 mpg from my current bike sucks big time. I want 200+ mpg, and I'm determined to get it! So I'm building a diesel-electric hybrid. Electric will be a 10 KW rear hub motor, diesel will be 19 hp twin and I am going to try it with no transmission to start with.....

Engine Base & Down-Tube Fabrication

Post by HybridBiker »

It's been a while since I last posted. I'm building a diesel-electric hybrid motorbike. I'm currently fabricating the frame. I am using a Honda Rebel 250 rear swingarm and a small segment of the Rebel frame where the swingarm pivots. I have aligned and tack-welded the backbone and steering tube in place.

Next to fabricate are the two downtubes (grey vertical pieces in the picture link below) and the two bottom rails (also grey in the picture). My question is this: What is the best way to fabricate these - one piece or two? Perhaps it comes down to how accurately can one bend tube. I will be taking my tube pieces to someone who can bend it (what kind of place/business will usually do bending?). Can they make the two bends in the bottom rails - i.e. the 90 degree bend between the downtubes and the bottom rails and the 45 degree bend at the rear of the bottom rails - accurate enough to do each rail in one piece of tube? Or would it be best to make a joint somewhere along the bottom rail to allow some adjustment for getting both rails exactly the same lenghts/positions?

:banana-gotpics:
http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... 030002.jpg

Does my question make sense? I hope I am clear what I am asking! :confusion-shrug:

Thanks for any thoughts!!! :character-tweety:
HybridBiker
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a bit of a tree-hugging biker who thinks 50 mpg from my current bike sucks big time. I want 200+ mpg, and I'm determined to get it! So I'm building a diesel-electric hybrid. Electric will be a 10 KW rear hub motor, diesel will be 19 hp twin and I am going to try it with no transmission to start with.....

Re: Engine Base & Down-Tube Fabrication

Post by HybridBiker »

Oops - just re-read my post. I should have used the term "Bottom Rail" in the subject line rather than engine base..... :angry-banghead:
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

Any good bike fab shop should be able to make these tubes in one piece. Just take them your mock-up tubes and maybe a few dimensional sketches of what you need. Those are really easy bends to make so the cost should not be to bad.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

I typed out a long answer while Gary gave you what you needed in a few sentences...
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
riceburner
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am a motorcycle repairman, artist, fabricator, machinist, welder, bender, fitter, eater, lover, fighter, I live in eastern denial. A man sought to see the Dali Lama he climbed the mountain to find he must spend 5 years in contemplation before he can see the Dali Lama, after 5 years past the man was taken to see the Dali Lama he asked him "what is the meaning of life?" the Dali Lama looked at the man, smiled and said "well my son, life is like a bean stalk, isnt it?"

Post by riceburner »

Wear shoes when working around steel.

Return to “Frame Fabrication”