Tube Bending

This section is for all posts concerning frame design and construction.
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Re: Tube Bending

Post by rudog »

Thanx, Jim. I've got Gary's CD and the pdf files. (thanx, Gary. They are a big help.) It's come to my understanding that the dies themselves are not a round, but, rather an elliptical profile to prevent flattening.

I've been searching the net all day for specifics and even the Balleigh guru doesn't know the formula for how much ellipse is recommended. I know the follower die gets the ellipse. I'm not sure about the former die.

I can't find an affordable 9" slug. I've redesigned to use 2"x2" bar stock 6" long. It's what I got. Conveniently, that will allow a 60deg bend. The largest bend I need is 55deg for the goose neck. As soon as I can get a handle on this profile, I'll be cutting, welding and turning.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

*elliptical*...I had no idea. I need to check my CD when I get back. Although , it won't make any difference at this point.
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

hansgoudzwaard wrote:*elliptical*...I had no idea. I need to check my CD when I get back. Although , it won't make any difference at this point.
It will to me Hans. This information is not on the CD. Yes, the shape of the forming die is round, but, where the tube is round, it should mate into an elliptical seat on the follower die. Gary's plans show a round seat. Perhaps, I'm overthinking again.

Found this http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/show ... ?p=6965503
ellipse.JPG
ellipse.JPG (13.24 KiB) Viewed 6834 times
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

*Perhaps, I'm overthinking again*.....I would not count it out. The frames bent on home benders on past CHB boards did not mention flattening , deforming, that I recall.
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

That's good information. Flattening of a bend gets worse with thinner wall thickness. If it's good for worse case, it may be usefull for best case, but as you suggest, may not be necessary. Thanx.

I'll start making my dies. If all works , I'll post the results.
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

The elliptical shape of the follower may actually be a clycloid or whatever it's called. Even on thick wall tubing you will be able to see a slight deformation in the tube on the inside of the bend if it goes through a semi-circular follower as compared to one that is even slightly oval. The one in the picture is far more out of round than is necessary to prevent flattening. Most people just live with a little flattening as it's almost umpossibkle to see if you don't know what you're looking for.
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

Here's the main frame rails for my GS550 project after I've done the first bends - look as closely as you like - the tube looks fine and after checking the die tonight, I can confirm this was done with a circular section die....
GS550 Bobber 045.jpg
GS550 Bobber 045.jpg (137.82 KiB) Viewed 6817 times
and here it is on the jig...
GS550 Bobber 061.jpg
GS550 Bobber 061.jpg (194.01 KiB) Viewed 6817 times
I guess there are many schools of thought on this but it probably comes down to a combination of using the right materials and the appropriate tools.....

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

maulanaryan10
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am on project build a chopper and need some reference for tools such as tube bender,shrinker and stretcher, english wheel, power hammer etc for on going project that i am doing, let’s say I am a noob builder,

Post by maulanaryan10 »

Can anyone help me, I've lost cbh bender plans that I got from old site, can anyone tell me where I can get the PDF full version file ?

Regards from indonesia
smiley
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builder presently working on what will likely be my last project. Started the Chopper Builders Handbook site in 2003 and trying to get a better version of it up and running soon.

Post by smiley »

Return to “Frame Fabrication”