Tube Bending

This section is for all posts concerning frame design and construction.
HybridBiker
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a bit of a tree-hugging biker who thinks 50 mpg from my current bike sucks big time. I want 200+ mpg, and I'm determined to get it! So I'm building a diesel-electric hybrid. Electric will be a 10 KW rear hub motor, diesel will be 19 hp twin and I am going to try it with no transmission to start with.....

Tube Bending

Post by HybridBiker »

Do the $99 manual (hydraulic) tube/pipe benders work adequately for downtubes/bottom rails? :confusion-shrug:

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-hyd ... 32888.html
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Re: Tube Bending

Post by sleepyonthree »

The common mistake in selecting one of these benders for use in building Race Car Chassis, Race Car Roll Cages, Sand Rails, Dragster Chassis, Nerf Bars, Bumpers, etc. is that they are PIPE benders. Most of the time, if not all of the time, you will be working with TUBING not pipe when working on those types of projects. One of the many differences between pipe and tubing is the way it is measured. Pipe is measured from the Inside Diameter (I.D.) tubing is measured from the Outside Diameter (O.D.) So, lets say you have selected a PIPE bender that is advertised with 1", 1 1/4", 1 1/2" and 2" dies. Those are to be used with the pipe of that size measured from the inside (I.D.) and the outside (O.D.) measurements of those materials would be 1 3/8", 1 5/8", 1 7/8" and 2 3/8".

These types of pipe benders will not give you a smooth bend. Nor will you be able to get a tight radius without lots of kinks.

My :twocents-02cents:
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Good question...
Good answer...

Not recommended for tubing, no matter what the ad says.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Hi hybridbiker, make yourself the jd2 bender with the plans from gary it will save you some money and fustration trying to use other benders that will not bend the tubeing properly. I made mine only costed me about $180.00 for materials plus buying the die for it which was $300.00, no matter what it will cost about $500.00-$600.00 ish for the jd2 bender and atleast one die from http://www.jd2 squared.com. Good luck man, if you want to do the bending properly you need the right bender to do it. :D :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

or build yourself one of these
GS550 Bobber 040.jpg
GS550 Bobber 040.jpg (126.46 KiB) Viewed 8326 times
GS550 Bobber 043.jpg
GS550 Bobber 043.jpg (122.26 KiB) Viewed 8326 times
I used this monster bender to make all the frame parts (and handlebars) for my GS550 and also the diamond section frame....and some handlebars for a good friend's Buell chop..... :banana-dance:

I've replaced the manual ram with an air/hydraulic since I took those pics...... very easy to use and doesn't need fixing down....... :snooty:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

fixing down?
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
msn1977
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Mark Nienke, I have been a machinest and fabricator for over 30 years. Currently a home shop machinest and future bike builder (some day). Funnest project was my Maadi-Griffin 50 BMG which I built a few years ago. I have owned bikes on and off for the last 40 years. Built and sold two basket case sportsters. I currently own a 2008 Harley V-Rod.

Post by msn1977 »

Fixen down = fastened down, attached to a bench.
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

ok so I'm English :hand: ...its a mobile bender ok :banana-dance:

Maz xx

rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

I never thought of it like that before. Could it be that southerners are speeking the Queens English? Or is Maz just a redneck at heart? One way to test that...Maz, have you ever spoken the phrase "Yont to" in a sentance?
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

rudog wrote:I never thought of it like that before. Could it be that southerners are speeking the Queens English? Or is Maz just a redneck at heart? One way to test that...Maz, have you ever spoken the phrase "Yont to" in a sentance?
Jeez, I been spelling it wrong all these years...

I thought it was "Yawnt too?"

And I thought that WAS a complete sentence...
Shows ta go, whadda I know...
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

Maz wrote:or build yourself one of these
GS550 Bobber 040.jpg
GS550 Bobber 043.jpg
I used this monster bender to make all the frame parts (and handlebars) for my GS550 and also the diamond section frame....and some handlebars for a good friend's Buell chop..... :banana-dance:

I've replaced the manual ram with an air/hydraulic since I took those pics...... very easy to use and doesn't need fixing down....... :snooty:

Maz xx
Maz ....when are you going to mod that die for the D-ring and tube clamp....???? ......Then you can do up to 270 degree bends ....!
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

railroad bob wrote:Jeez, I been spelling it wrong all these years...

With my appologies, I speak southern with a New England accent. As stange as it sounds...I yield to your Red Neckedness. Or did I say that wrong?

Hey, if anyone knows of a posting with the profile of a tube die...I need one. I'm building a bender like Maz', and understand that the dies are not perfectly round, but, oval. I'll be building 1.25" dies, but can convert any size for the ratio. Thanx.
Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

rudog wrote:
railroad bob wrote:Jeez, I been spelling it wrong all these years...

With my appologies, I speak southern with a New England accent. As stange as it sounds...I yield to your Red Neckedness. Or did I say that wrong?

Hey, if anyone knows of a posting with the profile of a tube die...I need one. I'm building a bender like Maz', and understand that the dies are not perfectly round, but, oval. I'll be building 1.25" dies, but can convert any size for the ratio. Thanx.
I suppose I should be honoured to be thought of as a redneck....but I'm just an English Witch really guys...... :snooty: and the nearest I get is probably "go on, you know you want to...."

As for the bender, yes I am looking at making a ring clamp for it, I've just converted it to an air/hydraulic ram and I have several dies for it, some made by me (including my diamond die) and some bought from an importer...

I do have some die plans and as soon as I can retrieve them from my "dead" hard drive I will share them with any of you guys who want them....... :banana-dance: meantime if you are making a die and can't figure out the profile of the groove, some of mine are circular but with a small ridge around the middle which prevents the tube from deforming........ :think:

Maz xx

sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Post by sleepyonthree »

Maz wrote: snippage
....but I'm just an English Witch really guys...... :snooty:
Maz xx
:D :whistle:
Attachments
Witch.pdf
(626.24 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
jimmib
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello everyone. first of all a big thanks to "Dan the Man". Some of you know me from the previous (2) boards and some don't, so here goes. I have been a fabricator/welder for over 40 years now. Damn that's a helluva long time to do anything! Anyways, I have built literaly 100's of street rods, pro streeters, racecars, bikes and trikes over the years. Never made the headlines and never will. I do what I do because it is the love of my life.
I enjoy reading the posts on the forum and try to contribute when I can. I am sure that this will be every bit as good as the CBH forum, as we will have most of the same folks. Good luck and post a lot of pics!! Jim

Post by jimmib »

[rudog quote] Hey, if anyone knows of a posting with the profile of a tube die...I need one. I'm building a bender like Maz', and understand that the dies are not perfectly round, but, oval. I'll be building 1.25" dies, but can convert any size for the ratio. Thanx.

Don't know about the oval part, but look in the downloads section, there is a pdf.
Whoa!...Musta stood up too fast...
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
An optomist is no more than a pessimist with an idea.
Gun control is hitting what you are aiming at.....

Return to “Frame Fabrication”