Rear Wheel Offset?

This section is for all posts concerning frame design and construction.
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Re: Rear Wheel Offset?

Post by Maz »

Jeff L wrote:Is there room inside a Jap unit to space the front sprocket?I know there is no room on a Brit unit to do that.
there is generally only room for a very small spacer. When I did the GS550 for my sister I had to space the front sprocket out by almost half an inch (10mm) and the clutch actuating cable and lmechanism got in the way, so I made a spacer for the outer cover as well plus an extension for the clutch pushrod.....not difficult and still keeps the cover looking stock.... :banana-dance:

On my FZ750 project I have to space the front sprocket out by around 2 inches (50mm) so will need an outrigger bearing......... :think:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

Nero
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm an informatic engineer who just happened to leave his (relatively well paid) job to follow his passion and going to work at minimum wage as a CAD designer and a welder in a CNC laser cutting & general sheet metal fabrication shop.
In the meanwhile, I try to build a killer bike with whatever I have at hand...

Post by Nero »

Whoa, 50mm it's a lot... wouldn't it be better to offset a little the engine also?
Will follow your build for sure... :mrgreen:
What I'm currently working at (and some free Italian's lessons also :D ) : http://costafabbricustomchoppers.blogspot.com/
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Maz wrote:
Jeff L wrote:Is there room inside a Jap unit to space the front sprocket?I know there is no room on a Brit unit to do that.
there is generally only room for a very small spacer. When I did the GS550 for my sister I had to space the front sprocket out by almost half an inch (10mm) and the clutch actuating cable and lmechanism got in the way, so I made a spacer for the outer cover as well plus an extension for the clutch pushrod.....not difficult and still keeps the cover looking stock.... :banana-dance:

On my FZ750 project I have to space the front sprocket out by around 2 inches (50mm) so will need an outrigger bearing......... :think:

Maz xx
cool....thats good to know.Gives me more options when I ever get around to choppin my Honda.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

Jeff - I don't want to jack this thread but when I get the GS550 back for a couple of small mods and to re-laquer the cases, I'll take some pics of the spacers and stuff and post them....

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

Return to “Frame Fabrication”