rudog#1

This section is for all posts concerning frame design and construction.
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Re: rudog#1

Post by rudog »

Allrighty then, enough work...back to business. Hans, stop posting those awesome frames. Your having a bad influence on me.

I wanted to see what it looked like with the axle pushed back an inch. The tape slipped and I moved it back 2" (thanx Hans). I've tried moving it forward again, but I can't hold the wrench without a shooting pain in my neck.
fab23.JPG
fab23.JPG (50.14 KiB) Viewed 5341 times
I hope to put the battery behind the tranny. The extra room may be good. The seat is about as low as I can get it. It's also not as level as I planned, so the support in the back may be lacking.
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

Your making me work here ... after enlarging, if you can tuck the front of that spring under the top tube , the support under the spring will determine the position.... I can fix the seat for more support across the back !
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Looking awesome man, great progress and work. Good luck :popcorn: :clap: :D
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

Thanx, Jones.

YONA, the seat is not as bad as it looks. The angle doesn't show the sweep properly, but you were right...I should have put more sweep in the back. I'm glad It's not covered now. I may wait to ride it and see.
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

Enough with the BS...Got most of the top welds done. I envy you guys with rotating jigs. Next I'll set the gooseneck brace and then the motor mounts. I'll prolly add the gusset last, just to get some pics without one.
fab30.JPG
fab30.JPG (41.84 KiB) Viewed 5285 times
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

This is for YONA. After making several compromises in looks. I mocked-up the spring perch. I couldn't weld wood good enough to suite...so I'm wittling it out of steel. It's a thight fit, but if anything breaks, the frame will hold the parts (and me) in place.
MockUp49.JPG
MockUp49.JPG (20.52 KiB) Viewed 5269 times
I really dont want the seat modified much. I've spent so much time thinking of what the profile looked like. I never caught this shot before. Me likey.
MockUp48.JPG
MockUp48.JPG (59.05 KiB) Viewed 5269 times
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Real nice job on the frame. I'm not clear on the seat spring mounting yet, but we will see that as it develops.
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

It's a simple perch welded to the seat post. The top clamp is held with 2 cap screwes from the bottom.
MockUp52.JPG
MockUp52.JPG (17.24 KiB) Viewed 5251 times
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Clean mount you came up with man.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Agreed, very clean
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

Thanx, guys. The pic doesn't do it justice, and I'm not into bling guards and covers. Black powdercoat should blend it nicely.

As best I can tell, that should be the last part of the frame build. It still needs the neck gusset and tranny plate, but those are still a while away. I've decided to take Easter weekend off to regroup. So far what's taken me months, should only take weeks with experience. Building your 1st bike, like life, is a journey. I've enjoyed this journey.

Happy Easter to all!!!
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

This is the picture this thread was waiting for.
MockUp53.JPG
MockUp53.JPG (28.31 KiB) Viewed 5237 times
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

looking good, Ru......we need to get some leather on that seat ... ; ) Been busy learning to build a cnc router for aluminum.....I will build those fork legs if it kills me..... using 12" I-beam for the X, maybe 8020 for the Y and 6061 plate, acme thread and skate bearing carriages for the Z...... almost like a MechMate !
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

Don't let me stand in the way of your dream....but...I told you I could do that for you. Although, my lead times are to die for. I still got your e-wheel. Now that I remembered...
yona
Conventioneer

Post by yona »

Was thinking you would send it with the seat....!

Return to “Frame Fabrication”