rudog#1

This section is for all posts concerning frame design and construction.
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Re: rudog#1

Post by rudog »

Just thought you might need an e-wheel before I need a seat. AND, you can start a thread on your new e-wheel. :D
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

rudog wrote:Just thought you might need an e-wheel before I need a seat. AND, you can start a thread on your new e-wheel. :D
You still got my address or has that piece of paper you wrote it on disintregated... ; P.... send it ! I am trying to get all my ducks in a row while I am in cardio rehab.... I am working on the Leafer ... though you wanted to do the Girder, was want to cash in on that "One time offer" , that I down loaded and put in a security valt...LOL Besides I want to buy a ticket and be there for the cutting off the first one....ya'no like a first born son.... : ))))))))))
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

That is a good looking frame there, liking the gooseneck. I know you have to be way past this, but... I would tie the down tubes together at the gooseneck bend with a tube and triangulate another to the back bone just ahead of the upper mount.
We can do anything, impossible just takes longer.
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

Lol, missed pg 3 before I posted that. Looks killer.
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

TattooLeeRoy wrote:... Looks killer.
Thanx, LeeRoy. Unfortunately, the only building lately has been the layer of dust. A tarp would have been nice in hind-sight.

I'm back on it again. Trying to remember where I left off. I'm just a little cautious when cutting up a perfectly good clutch basket. As soon as I'm confident of the numbers, it will go quick.
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

Good luck with that clutch. I look forward to seeing the finished ride. A few more details on the sporty and she is back on the road. In a few months I should be able to start my fiance's metric bobber. After finding this place I am thinking of a full frame and front end build for her.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Rudy; Fill me in on the clutch basket . I ask because I don't know why this needs to be done. H.
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

In short, to minimise the crank sprocket offset, I need to move the basket inboard. Although, the dist is only 1" to 1 1/4", I can get the look I need and keep the sprocket as close as possible to the primary plate

I enjoy designing stuff and only build if I have a need. This particular need is the potential for a new product that doesn't copy what others have done. The whole bike is the prototype for products/services. A few are proprietary. If they work well, I will offer them to the public...at a modest profit.
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

Primo64.JPG
Primo64.JPG (37 KiB) Viewed 6582 times
Well, I finally got of my ass again. I dug out a scrap alum plate for the primary. I spent some time leveling a smal granate plate and dusted off the Cadilac gage. I've measured my X and Z dims. Now if I can figure out Y, I'll be rockin' ana Rollin'.

I turned down a job running 2nd shift tool/die at a local foundry. It was a tough decision, but the job was better suited for a younger man. Now that I've made my intro's, I may use them as a supplier. They do kool stuff like air-cooled v-12 engine blocks. It's like 6 v-twins with 1 crank.

I've started to think about the oil bag. I have a 6" tube 12" long. It lacks 1/8" of room to fit. Oval is an option, but I've been toying with the idea of a teardrop tank. I need to calc. volume and I'm not sure if it will look right.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Does that local foundry have a web site ? An air cooled V-12 would be something to see !

:popcorn: :dance: :auto-dirtbike: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

They do, but dont show the v-12. They said it was used for extreme environment emergency vehicles...which could mean anything. The 1st thing I noticed was the 4"+ between the cylinders.

Return to “Frame Fabrication”