triumph frame build

This section is for all posts concerning frame design and construction.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: triumph frame build

Post by curt »

no thats ok thanks for askin reminded me i needed to post those pics and the progress
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
kheaton
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Ken Heaton. I've been in the medical field in the Army for the past 18 years and work on and build bikes as a hobby. My main hobby and goal is to think of parts that do not exist and make them or modify existing parts. I currently own a 99 Softtail that I bolted together, a 78 Triumph bobber that i built from the ground up, a 75 CB360 cafe, and a 76 Kawasaki KH500 that needs a lot of work. I joined the original forum about 8 years ago and I'm glad to see it up and running again!

Post by kheaton »

I know you are on the frame now but when you get to the motor, I highly recommend splitting the cases and replacing the sludge tube. I have built 4 triumph motors this year and all had at least 50% blockage of the tube. When I bought mine the guy said he had the motor rebuilt about 4 years prior. I didn't believe him so I split the cases and sure enough, it was a time bomb waiting to go off. If you have any questions hit me up, I'd be glad to help.

Ken
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

thanks i appreciate it i do know about the sludge tube ive been thinkin i might have the motor professionally rebuilt i always hate messin with the tranny when splittin the cases i always have to take it apart 5 or 6 times and swear when i cant get things lined up properly and it wont shift proper plus ive never had a 5 speed apart bettin its a biger pain in the ass it has been about 15 years sence i had a brit bike so im not real sure who in new york does quality work at reasonable rates and i never had anyone do work for me before so i might do it myself i dont kno but i definatly been thinkin bout it lately the frame is pretymuch done trying to find time to make a front end hopefully more progress soon
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

I had to take the tranny out a few times on mine.No big deal...build it yourself man...Im sure you can find use for the money you'll save.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

I used to have an OIF that was hardtailed and clean. Never have seen another one, silly me sold it. The biggest complaint, besides ugly, on the OIF is the bottom of the swingarm mount cracks and you piss oil everywhere you go.
We can do anything, impossible just takes longer.
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

ya i had one done years ago i had the same problem kept jb welding it but kept leaking thats why im makein my own frame this time
kheaton
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Ken Heaton. I've been in the medical field in the Army for the past 18 years and work on and build bikes as a hobby. My main hobby and goal is to think of parts that do not exist and make them or modify existing parts. I currently own a 99 Softtail that I bolted together, a 78 Triumph bobber that i built from the ground up, a 75 CB360 cafe, and a 76 Kawasaki KH500 that needs a lot of work. I joined the original forum about 8 years ago and I'm glad to see it up and running again!

Post by kheaton »

Hey Curt you finished the triumph yet?
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

I got an oif along with a bike that had been very nicely hardtailed, but it was still chunky looking.
We can do anything, impossible just takes longer.
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

kheaton wrote:Hey Curt you finished the triumph yet?

been so swamped havent had time to get to it lately work has been too crazy . winters comin though
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

TattooLeeRoy wrote:I got an oif along with a bike that had been very nicely hardtailed, but it was still chunky looking.

i have the origonal oif for the motor and thought about hard tailin it but i agree i think the frame is way too chunky and pain in the ass to change the rake i think if ya hardtail it ya gotta put a long front on it i am hopeing to start another springer for it soon
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

002.JPG
002.JPG (210.54 KiB) Viewed 7170 times
i was going back through my posts and realized i didnt finish this post . ive gone as far as i can go untill i get some cash for the engine . once i get the rockerboxes i can fab the top mounts and do the brace between the neck and backbone and downtube. once i build the front end for it and get it in a roller ill cap the tubes where the axl plates are but i did finish the axl plates and all the welding now its just sittin in the livingroom running outa space to keep all these projects
kheaton
Lurker

Post by kheaton »

Curt, I know at your pace you have prob finished 20 projects since the triumph frame but I wanted to show you a hardtail I found for the OIF frame. Not sure if you kept the original frame or what your plans are for it but check this out
Allows you to keep original numbers. David Bird makes them.
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

I do still have the stock frame unfortunately no paperwork though I never liked the wide rails on the bottom of the oil in the frames . I am re thinking the frame I built I been thinking softail triumph frame only because I know I will probably only keep it for a season or two I get bored easily and will start another project . I been kind of on hold lately though funding has slowed down a lil but I should be back at it soon I made the last payment on my dyna freed up some cash and bought some stuff to re do my frame jig motor mount and tube holders ill be posting pics as soon as I get the parts and a free moment

Return to “Frame Fabrication”