triumph frame build

This section is for all posts concerning frame design and construction.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

triumph frame build

Post by curt »

this is going to be a long term project a friend gave me a triumph in boxes .its a 73 tiger 750 5 speed oil in frame . i always hated the frame on theese so im going to build my own with a few changes . im starting with the stock frame in the jig so i can get everything lined up properly when im done. right now i only have everything just sitting in place .ill use the neck to start then get the lower frame rails level so i can start measureing to get everything cented off the neck . im useing the same jig i use for harley frames with the posts taken out once i get everything centerd i can make new posts for the triumph frame for the motor and axl . i have the motor/trans all the parts appear to be there but well see i didnt get pics of the motor it was stuck behind the jig didnt feel like digging it out maybe monday
003.jpg
003.jpg (137.71 KiB) Viewed 6739 times
004.jpg
004.jpg (118.88 KiB) Viewed 6739 times
005.jpg
005.jpg (111.3 KiB) Viewed 6739 times
006.jpg
006.jpg (134.48 KiB) Viewed 6739 times
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Re: triumph frame build

Post by railroad bob »

Nice score, congrats...
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
rakeNtrail
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just a grumpy old welder/chopperhedd Spent far too much time burning wire for a living but hey, one does have to pay the bills ya know! Worked shipyards and fab shops welding about everything stick, mig, tig and sub-arc. Both hand held and automated. Worked weekends in a Honda shop in the late 70's and in an all bike shop in the late 80's thru early 90's. Likes? Choppers, rock-N-roll, NRA and boobies! Dislikes? PC, VD, AARP & NAACP I'm pro business and totally against big government interfering in our daily lives. Live free or die baby and you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands. Do love little children and puppies though. Both of them can turn me into a 300lb. old softie!

Post by rakeNtrail »

I always loved them Brit bikes. (Had a few Nortons in my day)
Never liked the backbone/oil tank though. Too big and bulky for me.
Trump chops look so much better with a hardtail and an actual oil tank.
Preferably a chrome one.

Great score though. Take your time they make some righteous chops when done right!
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

like the new project....not sure Id chop up the original frame though, but thats just me, are they easy to get hold of over there Curt? old boys with big bucks like them?? :mrgreen:
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

not chopping the origonal frame just useing it to get all my motormounts in place probably sell it after i get frame built help pay for the motor build theyre not that easy to find in my area but they are out there people are sitting on then figureing some day they will put em back together and ride em so they want too much for em
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Nice man.Your boss might have to move to a bigger shop with all those bikes rolling in.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
jimmib
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello everyone. first of all a big thanks to "Dan the Man". Some of you know me from the previous (2) boards and some don't, so here goes. I have been a fabricator/welder for over 40 years now. Damn that's a helluva long time to do anything! Anyways, I have built literaly 100's of street rods, pro streeters, racecars, bikes and trikes over the years. Never made the headlines and never will. I do what I do because it is the love of my life.
I enjoy reading the posts on the forum and try to contribute when I can. I am sure that this will be every bit as good as the CBH forum, as we will have most of the same folks. Good luck and post a lot of pics!! Jim

Post by jimmib »

Great freebie Curt! I agree with rakentrail, hardtail with oil tank.
Whoa!...Musta stood up too fast...
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
An optomist is no more than a pessimist with an idea.
Gun control is hitting what you are aiming at.....
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

I keep trying to talk him into a bigger shop
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

This is gonna be a great build log.
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

003.jpg
003.jpg (154.91 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
004.jpg
004.jpg (136.88 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
005.jpg
005.jpg (137.69 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

too many projects going at once cant get my jig out anywhere i can use it so i made a small version i could move arround easier to help me getting the tubes fitting good.i cut the angle a lil wrong on the lower rail to the down tube but its close enough i can save it theres about a 1/4 inch gap at the bottom of the miter where it meets the downtube i got the left tube fitting better a lil more grinder work tomorro it should fit real nice the right one still needs to be worked didnt have enough time and i think itll be easier to do 1 at a time hopefully more tomorro oh and a pic of the motor in the background
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

also been lookin for weeks now cant find the dimensions i need for the motor mounts so im useing what i can fron them like the 5.5 center to center lower rails and instead of the 70 deg bend up im useing 65 to give the back bone a lil stretch im a big boy. im thinking ill post dimensions for the frame when im all done for anyone else who wants to build one maybee in the download section i suck at drawing so maybe someone can draw them up for me when im done planning on makeing a few improvements so it should be easier to get the motor in and out of the frame well see
Drake9
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am active duty USAF and have built a 81 Ironhead chop. I have the bike building bug and I dont want to shake it. Here to learn as much as I can and hopefully give advise to some others as well. I recently picked up a 71 Triumph 650 basket case motor from a good buddy for pretty cheap. I plan on getting that thing built then building a motorcycle around it. Not 100 percent sure on the direction I am going to go with it but it should be fun and keep me busy. I also enjoy building my own tools when I can. I have picked up most the metal to build a tube bender and have plans to build my own porta-band stand and lift.

Post by Drake9 »

I have a 650 case in the garage, I can take measurements of the mounts if you need. Just let me know. I look forward to seeing how this turns out.
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

i have the stock 750 motor to measure off ofjust wish someone had the dimensions already just lazy i guess
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Awesome looking project bike build man, good luck and i am sure it will look sweet when all done. :clap: :dance: :D

Return to “Frame Fabrication”