triumph frame build

This section is for all posts concerning frame design and construction.
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Re: triumph frame build

Post by Maz »

nice :banana-dance:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

didnt get pics today but got the tubes fitting the backbone real nice set the motor up on the rails and marked the bottom motormounts. spun up some slugs on the lathe to run through the frame then drilled the left rail out for the slug came out perfectly drilled the right one and was off 1/16 of an inch so it pulls the rail away from the downtube when the motor is bolted in . im thinking it should be ok if i redrill the hole a 1/16 higher and fill with a lil weld im tig welding it and im sure i can get a good weld with a 16th on the motormountbetter than a 16th where the tubes meet pics tomorrow
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

001.jpg
001.jpg (118.09 KiB) Viewed 5251 times
002.jpg
002.jpg (132.77 KiB) Viewed 5251 times
003.jpg
003.jpg (158.6 KiB) Viewed 5251 times
because of the 1-1/4 tube i had to dimple the tube to be able to get the motor to sit level front to back .heated it up and used a balpeen hammer to dimple it i dont like the way it looks so when i get it welded together in the real jig i will cut it out and weld in some plate to make it look better. the pic with the level is before it was finished i had to dimple both tubes i could have re bent the tubes and welded the mounts on top of the tube but i want everything to be similar to the old frames as i can and i like the tight clearances i hate haveing all that space between things makes it look like something is missing the tubes in the background are the backbone and downtube im thinking by the time i can get the jig back on the lift i will have all the tube cut shaped and real close so it should go together real fast
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

im kind of at a standstill now i bid on some rear mounts for a 70 because i have an oil in the frame the mounts are diffrent i want the older mounts because theyre flat and have a 1/2 inch hole where they mount to the frame and theyre both level the oif mounts have a 1-1/4 hole because they mount to the frame with 3 small bolts and i want to use a 1 inch bar through the seatpost so i can move the seatpost back a lil to help get the motor in and out a lil easier although i like everything tight i think this one mod i can live with for the convience lookin through the motor parts im missing the rockerboxes and pushrod tubes looks like im going to be searchin evil bay
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Considered makin' yer own pushrod tubes ?
:think: :popcorn: :popcorn: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

the thought never crossed my mind its a hell of a good idea
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

074.jpg
074.jpg (118.08 KiB) Viewed 5219 times
075.jpg
075.jpg (133.36 KiB) Viewed 5219 times
077.jpg
077.jpg (110.32 KiB) Viewed 5219 times
078.jpg
078.jpg (129.89 KiB) Viewed 5219 times

lil more progress today i tryed bending it in one piece but the first bend hit the die where it holds the tube when i tryed to line up my second mark so i made 2 90 deg bends turned down a slug took forever to shape the slug to fit tight because its right on the bend both sidestomorrow ill try weld it together without warping it too much. im useing it for the bottom wishbone because the frame where the motormounts is 5.5 on center and the wishbone is 9.75 and i suck at math cant figure out the double bend like on the fat tire bikes. the top will be like a traditional frame upper
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

001.jpg
001.jpg (116.31 KiB) Viewed 5189 times
002.jpg
002.jpg (123.22 KiB) Viewed 5189 times
not lots of progress but i knew this one would be slower i dug out the real jig and started gettin things set in place i know i want a 45 deg rake and the back bone at 25 to match the axl plates so i cut the miter at the neck and tacked it set it in the jig i dont have the axl plates yet so i stuck a smaller tube in the back bone to help line it up for height i should be done with the plates this week so i can get the top half of the frame doneif i can get the weekend off id like to see how much i can get done well see
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Very neat Curt...
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

thanks max
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

nice :clap:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

thanks maz
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

not much progress lately but i did get the axl plates made and the rear motor mounts i orderd off e bay showed up so now i guess i gotta get back at itfirst time i used the milling machine for the axl slots was a bitch figureing out how to mount em they were too big to fit in the vice i used a piece of cutting board thick 3/4 inch piece by the time i got through both pieces it heated up so much it started melting the cutting board and burried itself about a 1/4 inch in was fun trying to get em out but it worked
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

008.jpg
008.jpg (128.25 KiB) Viewed 5123 times
009.jpg
009.jpg (152.25 KiB) Viewed 5123 times

finally got a lil time to play with the triumph today got the rear motormounts on todayand found they drilled the hole on one of them 1/8 inch off from the other one making it higher on the right than the leftalso noticed the motor was sitting higher on the right than the left so its making my round bar look really bad :angry-cussingblack: all not lost though i can oval out the bottom mount a lil and get the motor sitting level but im thinking im going to have to remake the right motormount so the round bar sits level. i also got the whole top of the frame done i do have to finish the axl plates yet the outsides are only roughed in i did bolt em together to make the slot gotta bolt em back together and get the final smooth shape on the outsideso i can weld em in . i used the milling machine to make the axl plate slots in the rear wishbone tubes took longer than cutting em with the angle grinder but way nicer fit . im thinking it would be much easier if i had a stock frame to make the motor mount positions rather than useing the motor . it is nice having the motor to see how the tubes fit and how everything is gonna look
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Is the frame to stock measurments or do you have some rake @ stretch added in?Looks good either way.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain

Return to “Frame Fabrication”