Diamond Frames

This section is for all posts concerning frame design and construction.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Re: Diamond Frames

Post by railroad bob »

I suspect that the twisted stock is purchased that way. Both twists go the same direction.
Maybe its just me, but if I went to the trouble of twisting some square stock, I would make some going in each direction,
and have symmetrical twist each side.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

Thanks guys, some great comments and some even better ideas, I do like that springer and yes I would want the twist going in opposite directions..... :think:

Just for the record, I already have a plan for the FZ750 project build but I am still thinking through the diamond frame build......the frame has mounts for a GS550 but I've ben looking at a GS750 motor....but then again I could easily change the motor mounts........ :whistle:

I'm feeling better now so have been doing some trick machining (like yer do) and hopefully I'll get my bike table modifications finished before Christmas.....then I'll be going full on with the FZ750 build..... :banana-dance:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

Tim B 1640
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: well i'm just reregistering from the club before but i'm a union laborer in boston ma and i'm working on a sporty build with an S&S 100" sporty motor and this is my first build. i built my frame with the help of tigman and i will be running a 250 rear tire with a piece of 6" copper pipe for my oil tank as well as a springer front end

Post by Tim B 1640 »

Maz what did you use for a die to bend up that frame ? that's pretty cool!
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

I don't know who built that Springer but something is horribly wrong with it. Notice that both the rebound and compression springs are both at almost complete compression with no room left between the coils for any 'spring' action to take place. I've seen a few like this in some of the magazines. Looks like the builder was way off on the length of his spring rods or the springs were way to long for the rods they used. I'm totally amazed when I see stuff like this in the marketplace. Cool idea but poor execution. A custom Springer should at least provide a little suspension.
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

gww25 wrote:I don't know who built that Springer but something is horribly wrong with it. Notice that both the rebound and compression springs are both at almost complete compression with no room left between the coils for any 'spring' action to take place. I've seen a few like this in some of the magazines. Looks like the builder was way off on the length of his spring rods or the springs were way to long for the rods they used. I'm totally amazed when I see stuff like this in the marketplace. Cool idea but poor execution. A custom Springer should at least provide a little suspension.
I really should look more closely at some of these pics...you are absolutely right Gary....... hopefully not a mistake any of the guys on here would make........ :pray:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

triker_chewie
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: chewie from perth western australia. i'm triking up a vw and chopping up a yamaha and repairing broken tools. jeez 200 characters is a lot. GOT A WIFE AND KIDS SPENDING ALL MY PLAY MOEY ON FOOD AND CLOTHES AND OTHER USELESS SHIT sorry bout the caps put them on for the code thing

Post by triker_chewie »

gww25 wrote:I don't know who built that Springer but something is horribly wrong with it. Notice that both the rebound and compression springs are both at almost complete compression with no room left between the coils for any 'spring' action to take place. I've seen a few like this in some of the magazines. Looks like the builder was way off on the length of his spring rods or the springs were way to long for the rods they used. I'm totally amazed when I see stuff like this in the marketplace. Cool idea but poor execution. A custom Springer should at least provide a little suspension.
its a Jeri's springer
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

Well that explains a lot. many Springer builders use a set of de-tempered springs during mockups and on displays so they can take the forks apart without using a spring compressor. To me however those don't look like mockup springs.

Return to “Frame Fabrication”