Rear Hoop Clearances Help

This section is for all posts concerning frame design and construction.
cartierusm
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Been building choppers on and off my whole life. Right now I'm working on a custom ground up sportster. I just finished the building the frame and am working on the springer front end. I first started out in 2001 or so making frames from scratch. I actually went and spent the day with Gary Weishaupt when he lived in Napa, CA. He taught me a lot.

Rear Hoop Clearances Help

Post by cartierusm »

OK, so I built a custom frame and ended having to chop it to fit the wheels I got, I got a smokin' deal on some genuine harley rims.

First question should I offset the rear hoop so the clearance is correct on each side of the wheel, so that the hoop is actually offset from the bike? Or should I make both side equidistant?

Next question what clearances do I need between the outer edge of my drive pulley on the wheel to the inside edge of the axle plate? Also clearance from the outer edge of the disc rotor and the inside edge of the axle plate, I"ll be using a brake caliper that mounts onto the axle.

Thanks, here's a pic of the frame I built, before I had to chop it.
Attachments
20120515_134857.jpg
20120515_134857.jpg (131.87 KiB) Viewed 6558 times
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Re: Rear Hoop Clearances Help

Post by gww25 »

For almost all Harley rims a space of 8.5-inches between the rails will work unless your running a belt drive. Keep the distance equal on each side of the centerline but I'd wait until you have the parts in hand to get real accurate measurements. Most Harley rims are designed for either 130 or 150 tires so you need the rim measurments at a minimum.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

cartierusm wrote:OK, so I built a custom frame and ended having to chop it to fit the wheels I got, I got a smokin' deal on some genuine harley rims.
What does the frame look like since you "chopped" it? Could we see a picture?

Maybe I'm missing something here.
cartierusm
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Been building choppers on and off my whole life. Right now I'm working on a custom ground up sportster. I just finished the building the frame and am working on the springer front end. I first started out in 2001 or so making frames from scratch. I actually went and spent the day with Gary Weishaupt when he lived in Napa, CA. He taught me a lot.

Post by cartierusm »

Sure I'll post a pic when the chopping is done, but I need clearance dimensions first.

That still doesn't answer my question. I need to know the distance between the outer edge of the pulley and the frame so I know what inner width to make the hoops. Thanks.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

What is the distance between the axle plates on the present frame? What did you use for a guideline measurement when you built it?
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

Maybe we're all missing something here. You have the rims and sprockets and disk and you have the frame so what dimensions do you need that you can't measure? Most folks usually use an eighth of an inch for 'clearances' between the parts. I suppose you can use a quarter if preferred and to be on the safe side. You need to post up some mock up pics of all of the parts. For a 130 your original frame looked just fine and if you wanted to use a 'standard' chain you most likely could have done it with a 150 on that frame to begin with. What make and model are the wheels you bought. Kind of sounds like you built a frame without having any plan dimensions to start with or modified some before you had the final parts. What motor/tranny is in the frame as you may have offset issues that you haven't figured out yet either. Looks like a Sporty but who knows nowadays.
Hope the wheels are for a Sportster.
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Good question Hans...Garys on the money as per ;)

what your going to use sprocket or pully,, whats the size of the rims whats size tyre etc, on my frame eg was made for a 200 tyre with a sprocket..its 10.5 betwwen the centre marks of the tube (1.5" tube).. but Iam running a 150 tyre on a 3.5" rim, 10mm spacers on the sprockets so there's loads of room untill I can afford a bigger rim lol

Can you not mock up what youve got??
cartierusm
NewB

Post by cartierusm »

Ok, we all seem confused. But I appreciate the thought everyone is giving.

The frame I had i built from scratch with the tires and rims that I had on hand. Then I bought some nicer rims for cheap so I'm going with those. So I chopped my new frame to account for the new rims and drive line, no biggie.

Specs: It is a Sportster Evo Motor, the new wheels are Harley off a 2000 Soft Tail - a standard wheel 16" x 3", I'm going to put a 150 Tire on it, I'm going to use the pulley that came on the wheel which is for a belt, I already got the belt pulley for the motor. The motor mounts are only tacked in place and I will adjust the motor for balance and position once the new wheel is on.

All I'm asking is what is normal clearance between the pulley and the frame. I mean for chain you have to account for the chain and so forth, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything that needs to go on. I figure a 1/4" should do the trick between the outside edge of the pulley and the tubing (so the clearance to the axle plate is a little bit more).

Here's a pic of what i have now.

P.S. I wrote this then went and took a pic, forgot I already setup the frame back on the frame jig. SO I put the wheel on so you can see it.
Attachments
20120618_161606.jpg
20120618_161606.jpg (205.34 KiB) Viewed 6522 times
20120618_161545.jpg
20120618_161545.jpg (161.94 KiB) Viewed 6522 times
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

clearance shot
clearance shot
DSCN1282 (640x480).jpg (153.8 KiB) Viewed 6517 times
3/16 in. clearance

10 1/2" inside measurement, swingarm.

5 1/2" rim.

170/60 x17" wheel.
DSCN1284 (640x480).jpg
DSCN1284 (640x480).jpg (238.75 KiB) Viewed 6516 times
DSCN1285 (640x480).jpg
DSCN1285 (640x480).jpg (193.31 KiB) Viewed 6516 times
cartierusm
NewB

Post by cartierusm »

Sweet thanks. So I'll go 1/4" on the drive side and make the hoop equidistant on each side. Thanks for the help. Will post update pics once it's welded up. I also just finished my copper oil tank. I'll start a new thread for that.

Return to “Frame Fabrication”