Can this frame be saved?

This section is for all posts concerning frame design and construction.
kheaton
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Ken Heaton. I've been in the medical field in the Army for the past 18 years and work on and build bikes as a hobby. My main hobby and goal is to think of parts that do not exist and make them or modify existing parts. I currently own a 99 Softtail that I bolted together, a 78 Triumph bobber that i built from the ground up, a 75 CB360 cafe, and a 76 Kawasaki KH500 that needs a lot of work. I joined the original forum about 8 years ago and I'm glad to see it up and running again!

Can this frame be saved?

Post by kheaton »

I have an old Triumph frame that came with a lot of parts I picked up a few years ago. It was raked to 47 by grinding the neck down even with the top tube and boxing what was left of the original neck with 1/4" plate and then adding a new neck.
I didn't know the original neck was in there until I cut into it. There's still plenty of the original neck left that I could gently remove and add another one at 30 degrees. I'm hoping to save this front loop and hard tail it for the extra motor I have.
I can build a new frame but would like to save this one because the numbers are good on it. What do you all think?
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Re: Can this frame be saved?

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

It looks as if you have a decent frame . It's hard to see, but if you have enough surface to weld the neck to, it should be OK. Maybe a little gusset on each side without it looking ugly.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

it is a real pain in the ass but if you take your time and go real slow you can cut all the origonal casting stuff off and start over with bare tubes again . that factory stuff was i believe what they called furnace brazed whatever it is it really holds extremely well . i have used a bunch of cutoff wheels and done it but it is a lot of work but then you can put whatever neck on it you like and still save the numbers. if you do post some pics id love to see how it comes out
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

I'm sure some one here will correct me if I got this wrong , but I think the numbers are on the casting !!

:think: :popcorn: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
kheaton
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Ken Heaton. I've been in the medical field in the Army for the past 18 years and work on and build bikes as a hobby. My main hobby and goal is to think of parts that do not exist and make them or modify existing parts. I currently own a 99 Softtail that I bolted together, a 78 Triumph bobber that i built from the ground up, a 75 CB360 cafe, and a 76 Kawasaki KH500 that needs a lot of work. I joined the original forum about 8 years ago and I'm glad to see it up and running again!

Post by kheaton »

Yes, the neck and numbers are part of the same casting. I was planning to weld a new steering neck to it so the numbers would remain intact. This is basically how it was raked before. I should prob post more pics when I get it cleaned up so everyone can see where the original steering neck was. I don't know how to post pics from my smarter-than-me phone and the gubment computer here at work blocks the forum.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Can you e-mail attachments from your phone? Or can you link your phone to your home computer?
kheaton
Lurker

Post by kheaton »

This is about where the original neck goes. I haven't had time clean it up yet. You can see in the pic where the top tube goes into and is brazed to the neck casting
kheaton
Lurker

Post by kheaton »

Just realized the links Hans posted show exactly how the steering neck is positioned and the casting.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

That link was in my favorites. It does show the original frame/neck placement very well. You have a choice at this point if you want to weld it as it is/where it is.

Return to “Frame Fabrication”