sportster front motor mount offset??questions!

This section is for all posts concerning frame design and construction.
xphillx
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: hey!
i'm xphillx from the old board, owner of roquechop design a small shop focusing on fabricating quality handmade bikes and parts!
built frames and front end from the plans that gary shared with us on the old board, i had a couple of post on my girder front end and my tubing notcher too!
happy to be back!

sportster front motor mount offset??questions!

Post by xphillx »

hi!
looking at the sportster frame plans, was wondering what was the distance between frame centerline and engine case mount at the front?
i usually build a frame aroung the engine on the jig, i want to fabricate a jig to hold the motor level in all plane and centered in the jig!
will be using a buell engine(1999) so the frame won't have a downtube!
the jig i want to build will bolt in the motor case at the front and rear! the rear is covered in the plans but the front without using the mount plate...!
so i need centerline frame to engine case and not engine plate mount!
thanks
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Re: sportster front motor mount offset??questions!

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

XPH.JPG
XPH.JPG (36.24 KiB) Viewed 7165 times
xphillx
NewB
i'm xphillx from the old board, owner of roquechop design a small shop focusing on fabricating quality handmade bikes and parts!
built frames and front end from the plans that gary shared with us on the old board, i had a couple of post on my girder front end and my tubing notcher too!
happy to be back!

Post by xphillx »

hi!
this dimension give the placement of the tab on the frame where the offset mount plate bolt!
need centerline of case to centerline of frame!
thanks
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

XPH.JPG
XPH.JPG (51.26 KiB) Viewed 7135 times
I measured the distance between the blue arrows on my 97 Buell engine. That distance on a tape measure is 2+5/32 inches.

The RED line is the case centerline.
xphillx
NewB
happy to be back!

Post by xphillx »

thanks!
i did ask a freind to measure is sporty and he told me center of frame to where the case split,his tape shows 1,125"!
big difference between you guys!!
can someone else confirm thoses measurements ?
just want to make sure!!
i'll try to go to my friends house to measure it myself!!
big thanks to hansgoudzwaard for your time ! i'm not saying your wrong, just want to make sure,measure twice cut once!!
mabye GARY knows that answer!
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

could just be the diffrence between buell and sporty
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
chopper900xl
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: was a member of the site for several years..... somehow or another lost my username and passy but im back. :-) building a 1958 900 sporty chopper for quite some time on and off. love chopper with my very core. machinist..welder... anything I can do to help anyone with anything please drop a line anytime.

Post by chopper900xl »

whered you get the sporty plans? cant find them on my cd or on the site anywhere?
They look at me strangely cuz I'm different;
I look at them strangely because they are all the same.
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

This is why building a sporty is a pain in the ass if you don't know how to do mockups.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

The frame pic I used to illustrate the case centreline was just that, an illustration. My Buell had no frame in the lower mount area to reference a measurement . I don't know if xphillx ever got it built. He disappeared into the ether. :lol:
jonnyc67
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi, My name's Jon. I've been riding bikes since 1992, but had a nasty accident (non bike related) a few years ago so I can't get my leg over a 'normal' bike seat anymore. I'd like to build a chop so I can get back on 2 wheels & see where it goes from there. I've had extensive experience with machining & motor vehicle production and a fair bit of mig welding experience. I trained as a manufacturing Engineer so jigs & fixtures are really my thing.

Post by jonnyc67 »

chopper900xl wrote:whered you get the sporty plans? cant find them on my cd or on the site anywhere?
Hi, the plans are on the cd I got recently off Gary, They're in Frame load data 1, Frame plans, BC1-1 & BC1-2 :)
xphillx
NewB
happy to be back!

Post by xphillx »

did the frame for the buell, but i used the rear motor mount/swingarm pivot block on the stock buell!
sportster and buell motor offset are different and there's not much info on theses !
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

xphillx wrote:did the frame for the buell, but i used the rear motor mount/swingarm pivot block on the stock buell!
sportster and buell motor offset are different and there's not much info on theses !
Do you have any pics or can you do a short write up?

Return to “Frame Fabrication”