slugging a frame

This section is for all posts concerning frame design and construction.
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

slugging a frame

Post by krymis »

railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Re: slugging a frame

Post by railroad bob »

Nice videos, especially liked the tip about rounding the ends of the solid slugs.
I hadn't thought of it, but if a sharp edge is left on the end of a slug, it does become
a stress riser when the frame flexes. The sharp edge is in contact with the inner wall of the original frame tube.

Good stuff...
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

I never rounded the ends before sounds loke a good idea I always put a 45 on the ends . I always try to use solid the same od as the tube and machine it down I also leave a 1/4 inch in the center of the slug and machine a 45 on both sides to help weld the tube to the slug so I can grind the weld down smooth with the od of the tube without sacrificeing weld strength
074.jpg
074.jpg (118.08 KiB) Viewed 10483 times
and I know this was before I did the 45 on the outside ends
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Thanks for sharing and taking the time to post this.
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

I have used heavy walled tube to make slugs and cut the inside down so that the tubing of the slug is the same... that way the same settings on the welder can be the same..... I 45 the joint, but I use slots on the frame tube for two reasons.... It make the frame tube "give a little" to get the slugs in and it gives you more weld area on the slug. I drill four holes and then mark the side of the hole to the end of open tube, cutting with a cut off blade. Drilling the hole doesn't leave a sharp end that might split from flexing. the same way you stop a split in flatbar or sheet metal. Haven't had a frame break in 45 years, but what do I know , I have no formal schoolin ! ... ; )
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

yona wrote: I drill four holes and then mark the side of the hole to the end of open tube, cutting with a cut off blade. Drilling the hole doesn't leave a sharp end that might split from flexing. the same way you stop a split in flatbar or sheet metal. Haven't had a frame break in 45 years, but what do I know , I have no formal schoolin ! ... ; )
That's good advice. If that works on sheet metal, for sure it works here.
yona wrote: Haven't had a frame break in 45 years, ... ; )
Most of us here haven't been around that long........ :D
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

They call it a stop drill when you put it at the end of a crack. The stress risers that cause the cracks to grow get dissipated when it gets to the hole. It just has to be a big enough hole.
We can do anything, impossible just takes longer.
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

Good and accurate descriptions dude, I will sometimes use tubing machined to match the thickness of the original frame, and then bevel the inside edges so I can safely run wiring through at a later stage of the build :think:

Maz
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

Tat .... I drill the holes and cut slits to the hole that makes 4 slots with no stress risers . Tube is then beveled and welded to the joint, then welded all the way around, after tacks are made at the slots to stop pulling .... might not have been clear ... been a while since this post ... ; ))
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Maz wrote:Good and accurate descriptions dude, I will sometimes use tubing machined to match the thickness of the original frame, and then bevel the inside edges so I can safely run wiring through at a later stage of the build :think:

Maz

good tip, no sharp edges to cut the insulator, or hang up while pulling...
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL

Return to “Frame Fabrication”