frame fabrication for a newb

This section is for all posts concerning frame design and construction.
bugs789
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: 34 year old working in IT Support in the education sector, just starting out I have some knowledge of bikes though and have owned maintained and ridden them for the last 10 years, but would like to get more into building modifying and metal work.

frame fabrication for a newb

Post by bugs789 »

Hi all.

I'm looking at my first chopper project there's a local company producing frames fairly cheap (as frames go) or I thought of ploughing my money into a decent welder and going it alone.

Only I'm concerned I may be chasing a never achievable dream many experienced people have said you need to make sure your welds are good and safe (obviously) I suppose what I'm asking is, is going from complete newb to being a competent frame builder an achievable goal? And and if so what steps do you need to take to get there. I'd love to build.a frame and a bike from scratch but if its more financially sensible to pay for and experienced person to do it for you then I'd far rather do that.

Than guys
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: frame fabrication for a newb

Post by curt »

pick up the cd he explanes everything that you will have to do in detail to build a frame . yes you will need some skills or some friends with skills but even then things can be tacked together with relatively no skill and pay someone to weld but you can learn anything you put your mind to I bet . and from my experience nothing beats the feeling you get from your being able to tell people you built it yourself although I have to admit from a time and money point you wont save a dime its strictly a pride thing . I don't think you will get too many on here to say buy one but if you decide to do it yourself im sure we all will help its mostly why were all here good luck and have fun
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
bugs789
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: 34 year old working in IT Support in the education sector, just starting out I have some knowledge of bikes though and have owned maintained and ridden them for the last 10 years, but would like to get more into building modifying and metal work.

Post by bugs789 »

Thanx for the reply I have wanted to learn to weld for a while now so I guess its an extension of that and I'd like to say I'd be able to I can weld a frame so I'd be doing it for learing and the love of it more than anything else.

I just didn't want to invest my money in a new welder if my ultimate goal wasn't sensibly achievable
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Read some of the topics under ARTICLES on the left.

http://www.chopperhandbook.com/

Welding is discussed here.

I think it's a good read.

http://www.choppercompendium.com/ccforu ... f=28&t=451
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Sounds like you have a desire, but you aren't sure if you want to spend the time and money to achieve it.
Nothing wrong with that, it just means you don't have enough knowledge about it to be sure what you should do.

You might consider a welding class to get a hands on intro. Thats a good way to find out if you want to
continue, or decide to buy a frame. Either way is fine, and there are a lot of pros and cons for each way.
The more you know, the better decision you can make.

Read some, ask questions, think it over, read, ask more questions...
Lotsa experienced people here willing to share what they know.

Having a good firm plan will save you time and money. That good plan comes from study.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
dirtbag
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the old forum, I have more tools and more projects now, I have a wide range of projects , home built boats, a few buggies, snowmachines and a few snowhawks, latly I have been collecting old broken machines most recently a marvel roll in bandsaw, and a old lathe that needs some love from 1908, and about 10 bike projects, most were not running when i got them , same with my mill and bandsaw I had to get them operable. Looking to further my knowledge and share what i can offer..

Post by dirtbag »

Before i built a frame, i wanted to as well..i am also a buggy enthusiast and read more than once the first frames were scrapped, my first bike frame and first buggy frame were scrapped as well, good learning experience though, never learn unless you try, all the theory will not replace experience, Id say get at it but dont expect your first to be safe or roadworthy, first thing i did was build my bender, then a bunch of other stuff, then a trailer to haul stuff, then started building frames, if you jump right at frame building you might be on a short road to discouragment of fail, I got more from old timers willing to share knowledge than anything ealse.. Mostly retired millwrights or old folks that had no training that I met here or there usually buying old used tools and machines.
dirtbag
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the old forum, I have more tools and more projects now, I have a wide range of projects , home built boats, a few buggies, snowmachines and a few snowhawks, latly I have been collecting old broken machines most recently a marvel roll in bandsaw, and a old lathe that needs some love from 1908, and about 10 bike projects, most were not running when i got them , same with my mill and bandsaw I had to get them operable. Looking to further my knowledge and share what i can offer..

Post by dirtbag »

And I got a awfull lot of good direction by getting and reading through garys cd's of the handbook
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

dirtbag wrote:Before i built a frame............ first thing i did was build my bender, then a bunch of other stuff, then a trailer to haul stuff, then started building frames, if you jump right at frame building you might be on a short road to discouragment of fail.
Great Advice.
Jim Sawyer
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 25,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it

Post by Jim Sawyer »

There is enough information on this forum and the main site to build a frame. I did buy Gary's CD, but I already had My frame built. I had a friend help with bending the tubing, but I mocked up the frame and fitted everything together . I can weld, and probably could have welded My own frame, but I have a friend who I know can weld better than I can, so I let him do the welding.
If you really want to, you can build your own frame.
I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 71,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it
bugs789
NewB

Post by bugs789 »

thanx guys.

i deffinately have the desire for it. i read on some other forums unless your a very experienced welder with an understanding of frame geometry its not worth it.

iv looked for a welding class but they are very exensive here in the uk, so i was going to get myself a good welder then just have a go. i was going try a bicycle frame before a chop frame as theres plenty on the net about them and they seem fairly straight forward.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

www.atomiczombie.com can help you with that !
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

I don't want to bury you in links, but you have some fine workmanship in UK.

http://www.metalshapingzone.com/shop/pa ... hop_param=

Return to “Frame Fabrication”