Titling a home-built frame

This section is for all posts concerning frame design and construction.
GaryC.
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello.
Glad to have found this site,looks my my kinda place.
Started riding in 1977,on a 1975 Ironhead.
Had a 1997 Wide Glide later on.Now I have a 1998 Softail Custom,a 2003 Sportster,a 1977 Ironhead in a Flyrite Chopper frame,and a 2000 Evo Sporty in a Flyrite Scorcher frame.The Ironhead is just in mock-up stage,the Scorcher is running,just need to get the turn signals working in order to get it legal.
I live in a suburb of Dallas,and am very interested in everything about building choppers.Interested in learning machine shop stuff,and getting better at welding.
Very cool articles on this site,thanks for posting them.The springer build looks like something I wanna do!!

Titling a home-built frame

Post by GaryC. »

I heard that,as of a few years ago,one could no longer title a home-built frame in Texas.
If this is true,is there any legal way around it?
Swamprabbit1
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm from Arkansas. Farm equipment mechanic. Love working on bikes with my 7yr old daughter. Single dad. Doing it all on my own. Good standing member over on the Honda rebel forum and TCU forum. My first chopper build was a Honda Rebel 250. Looking for a big brother to it. A Honda Rebel 450. I'm wanting to build a girder for the 250 and was told that this is the place to come for knowledge and help.

Re: Titling a home-built frame

Post by Swamprabbit1 »

Easiest way for me is to start out with a titled neck and build from there.
Through the Gates of Hell for a Wounded Marine.
Devil Doc
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

I don't know how this rumor got started but I know all kinds of builders here in Texas that are having no problems getting their home-built bikes registered when they've built their own frames. Titling a frame is something completely different and only really applies to Harley frames made after around 1969 when they switched from motor numbers to frame numbers. A custom frame does not fall into this category as there is no VIN number on an aftermarket or custom made fame. If you could only register a 'factory' made frame in Texas we'd all be riding around on modified stock bikes and we certainly aren't.
GaryC.
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello.
Glad to have found this site,looks my my kinda place.
Started riding in 1977,on a 1975 Ironhead.
Had a 1997 Wide Glide later on.Now I have a 1998 Softail Custom,a 2003 Sportster,a 1977 Ironhead in a Flyrite Chopper frame,and a 2000 Evo Sporty in a Flyrite Scorcher frame.The Ironhead is just in mock-up stage,the Scorcher is running,just need to get the turn signals working in order to get it legal.
I live in a suburb of Dallas,and am very interested in everything about building choppers.Interested in learning machine shop stuff,and getting better at welding.
Very cool articles on this site,thanks for posting them.The springer build looks like something I wanna do!!

Post by GaryC. »

If it really is B.S.,that's welcome news.

Return to “Frame Fabrication”