Frameless frame

This section is for all posts concerning frame design and construction.
mike_mn
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I like motorcycles and am interested in potentially building/heavily customizing one for myself. I am 40yrs old and have a wife and a bunch of kids. My first bike was when I was 12yrs old. It was a Suzuki RM100 1978 that I got for free from a neighbor. It had a crack in the case from a chain that broke. I spent the summer fixing it. My parents just smiled and brought me to the places I needed to go to get parts or have the case welded. They thought it would keep me out of trouble so they didn't ask a lot of questions and kept encouraging me. I finished the bike that Summer and kept it about 10 years before passing it on to another teen for free.

Frameless frame

Post by mike_mn »

Does anyone have any experience building a frameless frame, meaning the motor is a structural part of the frame with no down tubes other than to connect to the top of the engine? I am doing some reaserch on whether or not it would be feasible with an old goldwing engine, since it has 4 mounting points on each side, I was hoping to let that big timing cover hang out in the open without down tubes. Only found one example of an old kaw while searching, but not much info on it.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Re: Frameless frame

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Well?
Well?
hondaconcept.JPG (82.48 KiB) Viewed 10112 times
&&&
mike_mn
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I like motorcycles and am interested in potentially building/heavily customizing one for myself. I am 40yrs old and have a wife and a bunch of kids. My first bike was when I was 12yrs old. It was a Suzuki RM100 1978 that I got for free from a neighbor. It had a crack in the case from a chain that broke. I spent the summer fixing it. My parents just smiled and brought me to the places I needed to go to get parts or have the case welded. They thought it would keep me out of trouble so they didn't ask a lot of questions and kept encouraging me. I finished the bike that Summer and kept it about 10 years before passing it on to another teen for free.

Post by mike_mn »

I am impressed you found one. Not as simple or elegant as I would hope to do it, but it does lend a bit of credibility to the idea. Thanks for the reply.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

mike_mn wrote: but it does lend a bit of credibility to the idea. Thanks for the reply.
You could easily "recreate/reverse engineer " this in a early Buell or Ducati style frame, using small diameter tubing .

I originally saw this image online 15 years ago. I have liked it ever since.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Do a little research on the Vincent motorcycle ! Remove the engine/trans and all that is left is a small pile of parts that constitute the "frame" !!
mike_mn
NewB

Post by mike_mn »

gearhead1951 wrote:Do a little research on the Vincent motorcycle ! Remove the engine/trans and all that is left is a small pile of parts that constitute the "frame" !!
Odd that I never noticed that. My avatar is Rollie Free doing his world land speed record run on a Vincent Black Lightning in his underware...gotta love the Vincent's...
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

Keep in mind that frames like this are designed around powerplants that have also been designed to become a structural element. Not all motor/tranny assemblies will qualify or be up to the task of handling the stress of becoming part of the frame.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

gww25 wrote:Keep in mind that frames like this are designed around powerplants that have also been designed to become a structural element. Not all motor/tranny assemblies will qualify or be up to the task of handling the stress of becoming part of the frame.
Good advice, I did not think of that. The castings may not be strong enough in the mount areas.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Use multiple mount areas , create struts between two points that you think need to share the load , THINK and do your research and ask as many questions as you have to !

That's what we are here for !
Russ
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I an indepent biker, no offence to patch holders but I can't be bothered with all that tough guy stuff. I'm into old BMW boxers. Low budget builder. I like my family, my bike and not much else. My current project is an r100rs Beemer that was posted on the old chopperhandbook site under the title "Another BMW gets attacked with a hacksaw".

Post by Russ »

Hello,

Don't know if it's of any help but a British guy called Twizzle built a frameless Triumph some years back. He used the exhaust as a stressed member. If you google Twizzle custom bikes you should be able to find him
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

I certainly wouldn't tie to the heads like Vincent did on an engine without cylinder studs that went all the way from case to the head. Image
But with a little thought n where to attach I would think most engines would work for a frame member.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

If this is yours, do you have more details or build pics?
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Not mine I grabbed the pic off the net to illustrate how Vincent did it. I did get to ride a Black Shadow a few years ago, it was amazing! It handled way better than the magazines said.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
Customize IT
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am a young punk kid that needs some help building himself a chopper!!

I am sorry I only have a hotmail account???

Tell me what I need to do I need help with my girder!!!

PLESE HELP????

[url=http://imgur.com/8saXkqN][img]http://i.imgur.com/8saXkqNl.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/pXJZqQ0][img]http://i.imgur.com/pXJZqQ0l.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/T3Q4Ev4][img]http://i.imgur.com/T3Q4Ev4l.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/fsXGYQw][img]http://i.imgur.com/fsXGYQwl.jpg[/img][/url]

Post by Customize IT »

Russ wrote:Hello,

Don't know if it's of any help but a British guy called Twizzle built a frameless Triumph some years back. He used the exhaust as a stressed member. If you google Twizzle custom bikes you should be able to find him
Twizzle is a Legend and a Master builder!

Here are some of Twizzle's frames of this type.

He uses only stress member sport bike engines designed for it in the castings. My Busted Rubber bike was inspired by his frames.

hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Reminds me of Ron Finch.

Return to “Frame Fabrication”