new project

This section is for all posts concerning frame design and construction.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: new project

Post by curt »

thanks i have decided i want to re do the axl plates so i have place to mount a sissybar then i have to make a bunch of brackets for the voltage regulator coil and such so it will still b a little bit
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
drivermark
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Have always liked choppers since I was a kid, never thought I had skills enough untill I found the "Handbook" sight just recently. Reading the info posted on the "Hand book" sight made me think maybe I can.
I have a little experience fabricating things.
Hoping the yahoo e-mail account doesn't disqualify me from being a member here.

Post by drivermark »

Those little porta band saws like that are great, I went the super cheap route for a table for mine, a piece of 3/16 plate and some flat head screws for the saw table and I clamped the handle in a vise just tight enough that it holds the trigger switch in and bada bing mini vertical bandsaw had everything on hand except for the metric screws. Just gotta make sure when you're turning it off/loosening the vise that you're hanging on to the saw. (they like to scatter when dropped on concrete)
I know the voices aren't real, but they do have some good ideas
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

thats what gave me the idea i saw a video on youtube a guy mounted one to a plate then clamped the plate in the vice . the guy talked about the swag offroad one i liked the idea of the miter guage so i went with that . i been playing all weekend making brackets my lungs are thanking the hell out of me not breathing all those cutoff wheels
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

havent abandoned the project life got in the way a little . broke the computer so had no online ability for a while then found a new job but i did manage to get some welding done but it isnt as nice as id like . i had to borrow a welder and had a hard time with it so im not going to show it till i can borrow a tig and fix them .
drivermark
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Have always liked choppers since I was a kid, never thought I had skills enough untill I found the "Handbook" sight just recently. Reading the info posted on the "Hand book" sight made me think maybe I can.

Post by drivermark »

Good to hear you're still at it.
Congrats on the new job, hope to be seeing some progress when you get the welds fixed the way you want them.
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

SANY0234.JPG
SANY0234.JPG (291.4 KiB) Viewed 15173 times
SANY0232.JPG
SANY0232.JPG (367.87 KiB) Viewed 15173 times
SANY0235.JPG
SANY0235.JPG (315.71 KiB) Viewed 15173 times
picked up a 6inch flat fender ,mount and some bungs i kind of like the recessed ones for allen head cap screws . not much progress with the welding i been kind of busy with work seems like im going to have to buy my own tig welder so it might be a little bit till i can afford it . i knew going in this was going to be a long term project but it will get there
dscott
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Devan and I have been around bikes all of my life. I had a motorcycle license before I ever had a regular vehicle license and I rode my bike rain, sleet, snow, or shine. I remember in the early 2000's watching Jesse, Billy, Indian Larry and some of the other greats build choppers. This was the coolest thing I had ever seen, because it first opened my eyes to the possibility of creating my own chopper one day. I am looking forward to starting out!

Post by dscott »

Hey Curt, frame is looking awesome man! Is your frame jig from the plans that are in published in Gary's downloads? Also if you dont mind me asking what centerline radius are you using on your die? The search I tried turned up a general recommendation of 4.5" CLR, but I wasnt sure if that was the general consensus. Thanks man looking forward to future updates!
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

the jig is a bit from a few different ideas . the engine and trans plate, and tube clamp system for the bottom rails is from bitter end old school choppers the head stock and tail are from different jigs i saw on here and made to fit my needs and ya 4.5 centerline fairly certain its what everybody is using here from Gary's writeups
dscott
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Devan and I have been around bikes all of my life. I had a motorcycle license before I ever had a regular vehicle license and I rode my bike rain, sleet, snow, or shine. I remember in the early 2000's watching Jesse, Billy, Indian Larry and some of the other greats build choppers. This was the coolest thing I had ever seen, because it first opened my eyes to the possibility of creating my own chopper one day. I am looking forward to starting out!

Post by dscott »

Thanks Curt, I appreciate it man.
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

your welcome
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

SANY0238.JPG
SANY0238.JPG (358.74 KiB) Viewed 14261 times
SANY0237.JPG
SANY0237.JPG (276.65 KiB) Viewed 14261 times
SANY0236.JPG
SANY0236.JPG (326.82 KiB) Viewed 14261 times
finaly got a little time to work on my stuff for a change . got the trans mount fabbed and tacked in not welding it permanent till i can get the funding for a new tig welder . starting to think about the neck area dont like anything i have come up with yet i havent ever done a neck like this i usually end both tubes to the neck instead of the backbone . its such a weird area 1.5 backbone two 1.25 downtubes and a 2inch neck and all the angles .
Jim Sawyer
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 25,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it

Post by Jim Sawyer »

ImageYou want to be sure and gusset that area real good. I had some cracks develop in that area on My frame.
O ended up grinding it out and adding a plate that extended farther down the frame tubes so the forces were not concentrated in one area.
Attachments
20210203_221654.jpg
20210203_221654.jpg (172.62 KiB) Viewed 14187 times
I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 71,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

SANY0242.JPG
SANY0242.JPG (373.62 KiB) Viewed 8439 times
SANY0241.JPG
SANY0241.JPG (316.72 KiB) Viewed 8439 times
SANY0240.JPG
SANY0240.JPG (340.36 KiB) Viewed 8439 times
SANY0239.JPG
SANY0239.JPG (365.5 KiB) Viewed 8439 times
i know i havent made a lot of progress but i knew this was going to be a long term project i been pulling some parts together picked up the shorty for free needing a rebuild but looks in good shape and started a sissybar build for this its 2 6foot long 5/8 bar and a piece of 3/16 flat for the fender to rest on . ordered the tig welder today so i should be able to start making some real progress soon . probably wont go much farther with the sissy bar till i get the welder either so i can make sure everything fits the bike well and looks the way i want it to
drivermark
Tourist

Post by drivermark »

Looking good, awesome score on the carb. Did you figure out the gusset situation? If so, would like to see what you came up with. I've always liked the old Jammer frames and the way they did the gusseting around the neck. (just my $.02)
drivermark
Tourist

Post by drivermark »

Looking good, awesome score on the carb. Did you figure out the gusset situation? If so, would like to see what you came up with. I've always liked the old Jammer frames and the way they did the gusseting around the neck. (just my $.02)

Return to “Frame Fabrication”